Fzr1000 Genesis 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
    Throwing the chain will bend the clutch pushrod??
    Yes, They could not have aimed the chain path any better for the rod if they tried. Be sure to check your chain size if it needs a new one. Might have came with a 532 and they are getting harder and harder to find for anything under $250.
    Arrow points to push rod.

Comment

Its definitely something in the shift mechanism though
      found this clip out of place behind the clutch basket. Still haven't removed the basket yet, need to buy that socket
      I can only find 1 spring like that.
      I've never been good with transmissions, but from what I did find. Broken "torsion springs" are consistent with not shifting properly.

Found this on an xj site.
      Couldn't get her out of (whichever gear you were in when the problem occurred).

This situation can be caused wither by a broken TENSION SPRING (the small linear-acting spring) or by the TORSION SPRING (the one with one straight arm and one "hooked" arm). Both of these springs are designed to keep the pawl arm properly engaged with the shifter drum "star wheel" segment. Note there is also a long SCREW which retains this star wheel to the shifter drum; if that screw is loose, it will allow the star wheel to rock back and forth or not even engage with the drum, also resulting in the same type of issue.

Comment

I wish it were that spring, but i got in there with my bore scope from underneath and can see that one clearly undamaged.. we'll find out soon though
        I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by Oldman99 View Post
          Yes, They could not have aimed the chain path any better for the rod if they tried. Be sure to check your chain size if it needs a new one. Might have came with a 532 and they are getting harder and harder to find for anything under $250.
          Arrow points to push rod.

Well just figured out what broke the bike.. threw a chain.. the shift rod that is below the sprocket has some scaring on it and tons of up and down slop also pours oil out when you run the bike. Secondly the cover is broken in several places
          I build Pipers

Comment

Bike didnt have a chain when i got it didn't think anything of it since the clutch slave cylinder is airborne
            I build Pipers

Comment

Well fudge.
              Is it fixable? Pics please....

Comment

It probably will be, still haven't gotten the basket off, probably will this weekend
                I build Pipers

Comment

Apparently you can remove the entire shifter assembly with out splitting the case so thats a plus
                  I build Pipers

Comment

Apparently you can remove the entire shifter assembly with out splitting the case so thats a plus
                    I was thinking you could probably do that - after all it just goes through the case to where the action is behind the clutch basket. Make sure there are no burrs or bends on the shifter shaft near the linkage or it might get stuck on the way out.
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Found a 5 part video about a guy installing a shift kit on a yzf600. Same-ish trans that ours have. It starts with old video clips, but he shows how it works and some things to look for when you have her apart.
                      Hope this helps.

Comment

Found this on ebay. Circled in black is the retaining spring that i found in mine and in red looks to be the peice i found laying in the oil pan
                        I build Pipers

Comment

Yep thats it

Red line is where it broke in mine
                          I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by Oldman99 View Post
                            Found a 5 part video about a guy installing a shift kit on a yzf600. Same-ish trans that ours have. It starts with old video clips, but he shows how it works and some things to look for when you have her apart.
                            Hope this helps.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roX8kc0ZiaQ
                            Definitely going to watch this tonight
                            I build Pipers

Comment

Partzilla has the shaft for $27.12
                              It's fits a shockingly high number of bikes.
                              Buy Yamaha 1AE-18101-01-00 - Superseded by 1AE-18101-03-00 - SHIFT SHAFT ASY.1. This OEM part is guaranteed by Yamaha's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com

Parts diagram and part numbers.

Comment

This morning...

And a few hours later...
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X