Just getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just getting started

I just joined the forum, from Huffman, Texas. Been riding and wrenching since I was a kiddo. I'm currently building a 1981 GS850G cafe fighter. Got it from a brother who owed me money and it was in terrible shape. Someone attempted to make some sort of bobber out of it and failed miserably. So far I have stripped it down to just the frame and engine. Had to cut the subframe completely off due to a bad hack job on it. Decided to do something less fugly with it. So far I'm fitting a 02 ZX7 front end on it. Got a majority of that done today. Next I am adapting the final drive to the rear wheel from the same donor bike the front end came from and building a new swing arm and drive shaft. Then it's on to fabbing up a new subframe. I love building bikes and I'll post pics of the progress soon. So that's it in a nutshell.

You're going to adapt shaft drive to a ZX7 swingarm? Wow.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Damn ..... you're nearly next door

soon be enough of us to form a SE Texas "modified GS" club

looking forward to seeing what sounds like a pretty radical build
        78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
        82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
        83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
        2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
        Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          You're going to adapt shaft drive to a ZX7 swingarm? Wow.
          He said he was using the ZX7 wheel, but building a new swingarm and drive shaft.

Still interesting though.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Yeah, I caught that after posting. Not sure how that will be done without some pretty impressive fabrication.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

The fabrication won't be that difficult. It's not hard to disassemble and reassemble a motorcycle. It takes time and skill to build it to suit what you want. I'll have to build the swingarm wider, with a second universal joint to get the shaft around the wheel. It'll have a support bearing internally ( meaning inside the swingarm). It'll also be mono-shock and most like a few inches longer than stock.

Comment

Originally posted by bsharpish View Post
                Damn ..... you're nearly next door

soon be enough of us to form a SE Texas "modified GS" club

looking forward to seeing what sounds like a pretty radical build
                Where you from bsharpish?

Comment

This is the only pic I've taken so far, but I'll try to take more as I go. Don't pay any more no to my messy ass shop 😳
                  Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BlackWolfGray View Post
                      The fabrication won't be that difficult. It's not hard to disassemble and reassemble a motorcycle. It takes time and skill to build it to suit what you want. I'll have to build the swingarm wider, with a second universal joint to get the shaft around the wheel. It'll have a support bearing internally ( meaning inside the swingarm). It'll also be mono-shock and most like a few inches longer than stock.
                      When you install the second u-joint, be sure to phase it correctly, so you will essentially have a CV joint. Will save a LOT of wear and tear on various parts.

Where you from bsharpish?
                      Looking at the location he has posted, it appears to be "Katy".

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

This is the only pic I've taken so far, but I'll try to take more as I go. Don't pay any more no to my messy ass shop 
                        Please take a few moments to set up an account at a photo hosting site. By pasting the IMG link to pictures on a hosting site, you can show full-size pictures (but please make sure that "full-size" does not overwhelm the screen) and you can show up to TEN pictures in one post. You can also show the same picture in more than one post.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                        X