My first GS "dorkbox"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first GS "dorkbox"

So, I got hosed on this bike. My fault. I didn't know anything about them, I needed a bike and the price wasn't to bad. I've always wanted a KZ750 or a kz1000 I hate anything honda but a cb would have been cool. No, I get stuck with Dorkbox. My first ride was about 30 miles. the bike would rev up and get louder but not really go faster. brought it home and bought a new clutch pack. Ride two around 50 miles. Dorkbox was running good and everything seemed to be ok. But I hated it. so I went to the motorscooter store and bought a harley 1200 sportster. I'm in love. the harley is a way better bike. It's fast and it feels solid. It rides smooth and handles great. So I tried to sell Dorkbox. No one wanted it. I figured I would put a new tire on it and try again this spring... As I was pulling the rear wheel I see I have to replace the chain and sprockets. Plus I have to clean 37 years of road grime off it. I like cleaning my cars and machines. My harley is cleaner than when I bought it. My old lady picks on me because I spend more time washing it than I do riding it. So now I'm taking dorkbox apart and doing what I can to make it sell without spending too much money. I'm finding so many little problems. Like the idiot replaced all of the philips screws with hex bolts on the left side of the engine. Wiring issues. The frame is cracked where the rear peg and exhaust mount. little things that I can't sell the bike with. So now I'm almost down to bare frame and it looks Like we are doing a full rebuild and cleanse. I might try and get a 750 engine if it will fit. That's where you guys come in. If i have to be stuck with dorkbox i might as well make it right.
    Attached Files

It would help a lot of you were to put your thoughts into smaller paragraphs, rather than letting your train of thought to rumble/ramble on for a big wall of text.

If by hex bolts you meant to say allen bolts, that would be a good thing actually.

Not sure what bike you have there. If it's a 550, then you should consider keeping it. They're quite fun.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

You really can't compare a bike from a shop that (presumably) has been gone through before it was put on the floor, to a 40 year old bike that may have sat in someone's garage for the past 20 years.

I'd keep it and go through it slowly when you have the time.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Next time you travel down the east coast in a truck, put it in the back.
        Might even pay some of your gas☺

Comment

No. by hex bolts I meant they went to home depot and got bolts. Not socket head cap screws(allen bolts). which would have been the wise choice.
          Originally posted by roeme View Post
          It would help a lot of you were to put your thoughts into smaller paragraphs, rather than letting your train of thought to rumble/ramble on for a big wall of text.

If by hex bolts you meant to say allen bolts, that would be a good thing actually.

Not sure what bike you have there. If it's a 550, then you should consider keeping it. They're quite fun.

Comment

My 96 harley sportster is a better bike. like i said, it's solid. The suzuki feels squishy and light. It's a 37 year old jap bike. I'm not upset. knowing what I know now I would have walked away. Unlike my harley it was a daily ridden bike by some hipster kid that didn't know the ins and outs of working on anything but his engineering degree. The harley had less than 7,000 miles on it and it is just a clean bike.
            Originally posted by Deuce View Post
            You really can't compare a bike from a shop that (presumably) has been gone through before it was put on the floor, to a 40 year old bike that may have sat in someone's garage for the past 20 years.

I'd keep it and go through it slowly when you have the time.

Comment

So today I was pulling apart my old lady's fatboy. Had my friend over to help and we were talking about the future of dorkbox. I'm going to use the bike. It's a fun little bike. He loved the use of Hex bolts where socket head cap screws or button head screws should have been used. I will be needing parts for this bike. It's a 1980 gs550e as far as I know. I'll stick with the 550 if I have to.

Comment

Dorkbox...... I like it.....
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

It had a luggage trunk on it when I bought it. We call those dorkboxes.
                  Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  Dorkbox...... I like it.....

Comment

20170128_183409.jpghere is a hex head bolt where a socket head cap screw should be.

Comment

Well, give him credit for at least using a metric bolt. ..
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Other than a fuzzy picture showing a four-cylinder GS and your vague description, please give us a clue.

What bike to you have?

It has been said that the GS hive-mind is darn near omnipotent and rather omniscient, but we are not yet clairvoyant, so please give us a clue.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Must have been fun trying to get a socket around that hex bolt!

Comment

Originally posted by rustywvw View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]49623[/ATTACH]here is a hex head bolt where a socket head cap screw should be.
                            Omg, how did that even go in there?!

Looking forward to your progress.

If you don't already have, visit Cliff's homepage (link in my signature). With the schematics you should be able to fix your wiring issues in no time.
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Welcome to the asylum.

You'll probably get more lovin' and more help here if you remember you joined a Suzuki forum and more specifically a Suzuki GS forum. You came to us, remember? So praising all things Harley while calling your GS 'squishy' and calling trunks (that some of us like) 'dorkboxes' isn't going to make us all warm and fuzzy. Do you want help with your Suzuki or just want to rant?

IF you truly want help, this is one of the best, most knowledgeable forums on the interweb. Lots of skills here from lots of helpful folks. If you have specific questions, find the appropriate sub-headings, ask your questions, and then pay heed to the responses. As others have said,read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread.

Put your year and model information in your signature. That helps us help you.

Now, your bike may indeed be 'squishy'. You mentioned a cracked frame like it was of little consequence. I wouldn't even ride a bike around the block with a cracked frame! The OEM suspension wasn't the best when it was new - now it's 40 years old and no doubt poorly maintained. The triple tree bearings could be shot. Forks may have insufficient oil and/or the wrong oil. Tires could be toast.

You've got a 40-year old bike that probably has 39 years of deferred or no maintenance. It's also a vintage machine that needs care and loving and wrenching. Lots of wrenching.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X