No announcement yet.

My first GS "dorkbox"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bike is a 1980 gs550e. It is in nee of some major work. But the good news is that it runs. I do like my suzuki I'm going to have a build thread going up here soon. And as for "dorkboxes" they are fine to have and quite handy. Just not my style. I'm looking forward to sharing my progress with all of you.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I used a cold chisel to tap the bolt in reverse. They are all out and I'm going to buy new hardware from bellmetric.com they have all the metric stuff you will ever need.

Comment

The crack is not in a place that will make the bike unsafe. Later this week after I get the front end apart I will post some better pictures.
        Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
        Welcome to the asylum.

You'll probably get more lovin' and more help here if you remember you joined a Suzuki forum and more specifically a Suzuki GS forum. You came to us, remember? So praising all things Harley while calling your GS 'squishy' and calling trunks (that some of us like) 'dorkboxes' isn't going to make us all warm and fuzzy. Do you want help with your Suzuki or just want to rant?

IF you truly want help, this is one of the best, most knowledgeable forums on the interweb. Lots of skills here from lots of helpful folks. If you have specific questions, find the appropriate sub-headings, ask your questions, and then pay heed to the responses. As others have said,read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread.

Put your year and model information in your signature. That helps us help you.

Now, your bike may indeed be 'squishy'. You mentioned a cracked frame like it was of little consequence. I wouldn't even ride a bike around the block with a cracked frame! The OEM suspension wasn't the best when it was new - now it's 40 years old and no doubt poorly maintained. The triple tree bearings could be shot. Forks may have insufficient oil and/or the wrong oil. Tires could be toast.

You've got a 40-year old bike that probably has 39 years of deferred or no maintenance. It's also a vintage machine that needs care and loving and wrenching. Lots of wrenching.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Well, give him credit for at least using a metric bolt. ..
          What he said…HA!!!
          550 is half the power of a 1200. Disappointed you had to learn that the slow way.
          Me, I had fun winding my 550 out, that kinda slowed racing down to my level.
          Now I ride an 1127, and that's rather humbling to wind out.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

What was the power band like on your 550? Where did the power seem to drop off? I've been thinking about the 650 upper end swap, or refreshing the 550. I look forward to riding the bike around. It will need some suspension work. One of the rear shocks was totally blown out.
            Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            What he said…HA!!!
            550 is half the power of a 1200. Disappointed you had to learn that the slow way.
            Me, I had fun winding my 550 out, that kinda slowed racing down to my level.
            Now I ride an 1127, and that's rather humbling to wind out.

Comment

It's been a few years, but the power band is the same for most of the GS's, the 550 has to be allowed to rev all the way up to 8-9000 RPM. It's just that the 550 is almost the smallest, least powerful. I sold my 550 soon enough, but have kept my GS1100G as my favorite ride.
              It's not the fastest of any of the 550cc bikes of it's period 77-84.
              Have a look at my poll about this class size and you'll see what guys on this site voted for: Mid 80s 550cc proto sport bikes.

Nobody voted for the Kawasaki EX500, later called the Ninja 500, but it blows them all away with only 500cc. My 1st bike, but the seat was too cramped for me at 6'4".
              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 01-30-2017, 09:39 PM.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The 77-82 gs550 is a fine bike that has a lot of potential. Look for a used 4-into-1 and k&n pods and get a dynojet kit for the carbs. Or just cut to the chase and swap a whole gs550 top end on it. That will REALLY wake it up. It will be far faster through twisty roads than that "Sportster" which is a funny name because they aren't sporty at all... put slightly longer rear shocks on the back of the GS, new fork seals and oil, chop several inches out of the fork springs & replace with a tubing spacer, $60 MikesXS.com cartridge emulators are a HUGE bonus to drop on while the forks are apart.

Get some good tires in no wider than stock sizes for the best handling. Avon AM26 RoadRider is a great compromise between a sport tire and a highway mileage tire. Shinko makes a 230 that is super grippy & a 712 that lasts a lot of miles and grips decent unless knee dragging, both aregistered budget priced (Avon is best overall).

Get some Hagon, Progressive, or YSS shocks. Do not go with $100 Chinese emgo mdi no name etc. The ride will suck.get the shocks 10mm or 15mm longer than stock if you want a very response sporty feeling ride. Stock makes it steer too similar to a lazy Harley highway straight line cruiser.

The 650 head/pistons/cylinders/carbs swap is awesome. Highly recommended. Just with an aftermarket exhaust with performance baffle and k&n pods with a 550 dynojet kit, the bike will be way more nimble quick and sporty than the sportster, maybe even faster from about 12mph to about 85mph. The Sporty will pull like a train though and has more torque of the line and the highway higher speeds.

4-1 Exhaust, k&n, dynojet, & 650 top end and the 673c. GS550 may be faster in a drag race than the sportster, & far faster on twisty roads set up as I described. You will love it if you love spirited riding.
                If you love a heavy bike that goes well in a straight line and you don't take curves fast or curvey roads often, & you want a bike that feels like you're driving around an antique tractor engine from the 1920's or 1950's, that feels like sitting on a lazy boy recliner...maybe the Harley is for you.

Upgrade the regulator rectifier with a used $45 ebay unit - search "Polaris 4012941" on ebay. Great insurance.
                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

When my GS750 was mostly stock (MAC 4-1 with performance baffle), my buddy with an xl1200c sportster would get me off the line for about 15', but then I was looooonnngggg gone with him in the dust. The GS's just require winding them out to at least 5500rpm to get good power. That's how they are designed. 3500-5500 is good cruising rpm. 5500-9500 is Harley smokin' RPM shift points on a GS. They LOVE to rev out high like that.

I have ridden that 1200 sportster enough to know that I love my GS750 A WHOLE HELLUVALOT MORE...
                  Also, the GS750 2V has 72hp stock. The 673cc GS650 has 73hp stock! More advanced head design. The 550 and 750 2V are a hemi piston/chamber. The 650 is a closed chamber modern design. More efficient.
                  Unless your sporty is newer and has fuel injection, a 673c gs550 with a fresh valve job and new rings on good spec used and honed cylinders will likely make more horsepower than the sportster. The sportster will still have more torque tho but the GS will be faster when ran through its prime RPM range

Just get rid of that godawful dorkpillion cushion set you have there and you'll have a fine piece of Japanese machinery once it's gone through!

Good luck, email me if you need any advice especially on brake and suspension upgrades or 673cc top end swaps.
                  Last edited by Chuck78; 02-26-2017, 04:35 PM.
                  '79 GS425stock
                  PROJECTS:
                  '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

You say it is a 550E, but looks more like a 550L with those bars and that seat. My first bike was a 1980 GS550L and it was very quick and nimble and a blast to ride.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

It is an E, is has straight leg forks and other E trim. It just had a king/queen old man cruiser seat added, as well as the tall cruiser bars. The E is more sporty than an L, but I can't imagine it feeling that way with those bars!!! Superbike (~2" rise and mild sweep back) or Daytona bars (~3/3.5" rise and more sweepback, but still not hideously tall) are what is more appropriate.
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                      X