Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call me crazy but I'm actually considering this bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call me crazy but I'm actually considering this bike.

1986 Madura GL1200 on CL:

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

monster bike
    buy it I think they are lovely and certainly and interesting technological period piece.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Why not?

I know nothing of this model, but nothing says you have to stick to a GS as your only fun...
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

They are aesthetically hideous, and the lesser of the three big V4 muscle cruisers of that era, but I'm told they are comfortable and smooth.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          They are aesthetically hideous, and the lesser of the three big V4 muscle cruisers of that era, but I'm told they are comfortable and smooth.
          Aesthetics can be fixed. I just like the power and the comfort part. At $1400 it's really a decent deal for a bike that's not going to be found too often. Only about 5000 made world wide.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Understandable. I loved my VMax, though its range was ridiculous.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

I don't know man. A friend once told me..."if it's ugly all bets are off"...and that beast is UGLY!
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That looks like a bike your girl freind would like to ride on the back of.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  That looks like a bike your girl freind would like to ride on the back of.
                  She can wear the helmet with the rebel flag......
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                    Aesthetics can be fixed. I just like the power and the comfort part. At $1400 it's really a decent deal for a bike that's not going to be found too often. Only about 5000 made world wide.

Exactly how are you going to "fix" the aesthetics of that hideous beast??
                    They are a bear to work on, parts are extremely hard to come by, every old Suzuki mechanic I've ever known hated them...I'm just not seeing any upside. A decent 1000-1100cc "L" model would be a far better choice IMO.
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

The Madura was Suzuki's answer to Yamaha's V Max.

By all reports, the V Max won.

We never got them over here, so I couldn't tell you what they are like, but I've heard getting parts for them now can be challenging.
                      Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post

OK, you're crazy.

Hey you said call me crazy. I'm just doing as you asked.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

You folks have some pretty bad taste in motorcycles. This things is exquisitely Japanese.
                          To hell with the detractors. buy it and dont chop it up.
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I looked up common parts, many are available, many are not. If it runs well and is complete I say go for it. You probably won't see another one on cruise night. You could probably also do really well parting it out if it blows up....
                            sigpic
                            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                            1983 GS1100e
                            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                            1980 GS1260
                            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Other than the fact they are ugly as sin, not a bad bike, but not one I would never add to my muscle bike collection. A couple big negatives, the first being parts availability. Because there were so few made, parts are impossible to find! Secondly, because Honda had the patent on the 90 degree V4 engine, Suzuki had to put theirs at 86 degrees, which really threw off the internal engine balance horribly! They tried to mask it with rubber motor mounts, but I have ridden a few over the years, and there was a TERRIBLE handlebar buzz right around 3500 RPM! That would drive me nuts! I have seen these relatively cheap over the years, actually had several chances to get them for less than 500 bucks and passed on them. Just not one of the original 80's muscle bikes that does anything for me. Now, that being said, if I find a LOW mileage example for next to nothing, I might get one, just to say I have the entire 80's lineup of muscle bikes, but I wouldn't ride it much!!!!
                              Last edited by 83GS1100E_Tornado; 02-01-2017, 08:59 PM.
                              Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                              87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                              99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                              15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Working...
                              X