Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call me crazy but I'm actually considering this bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
    You folks have some pretty bad taste in motorcycles. This things is exquisitely Japanese.
    To hell with the detractors. buy it and dont chop it up.
    "Exquisite?" Like a manga version of a Frank Miller graphic novel.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

exactly!.............
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Exactly ...

manga.jpg
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Exactly ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49669[/ATTACH]
          Where did you get a picture of my Ex-Wife?
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

(...)Secondly, because Honda had the patent on the 90 degree V4 engine, Suzuki had to put theirs at 86 degrees, which really threw off the internal engine balance horribly! (...)
            Ah, so I remembered correctly. Wasn't sure if it was this model who had that problem. I think this is the reason why merely ~5k were produced
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
              Ah, so I remembered correctly. Wasn't sure if it was this model who had that problem. I think this is the reason why merely ~5k were produced
              Yea, they had several inherent problems, including so much torque that the spokes could be broken loose from the hub at WOT. Not the best bike to do burnouts on! LOL! Although there was a mag wheel conversion from an early 80's GS Model that didn't seem to be too difficult. These bikes just didn't sell, the V65 Magnas and VMAX's are just better overall bikes, in every conceivable way, so Suzuki gave up and only produced them in 85 and 86. Like I said, I wouldn't own one unless it was bone stock, low miles, and for sale CHEAP, like less that 500 dollars cheap. There really is no money to be made flipping them either, the market is incredibly small, even the one that started this thread for 1400 is no deal IMHO. I've seen decent examples for less than a grand.
              Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
              87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
              99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
              15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Eh, what's the real likelihood of actually 'blowing it up'?

I rode the Magna equivalent and it was just about the least comfortable thing possible. But this appears to have less severe riding position.

Hey, if it fits you and you don't mind scaring the neighborhood kids, a 1200cc bike certainly has some fun possibilities.

If you have the dough not much downside. Running the spokes a couple times a month might be with the effort as with any large cc heavy bike with spokes.

It does have a certain... I can't say attraction, how about interesting appeal.

Comment

I borrowed a canadian import madura once - a strange thing indeed

Favorite bike of this genre was Honda's late 90's VMax competitor , and having owned both ........ I hate to say this , But, the Honda's a better package

Only country outside of Japan that you could officially buy them was Germany where they have a cult following - mine was (of course) somewhat personalized with Sato exhaust and different shocks

78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
                    82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
                    83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
                    2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
                    Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

I spoke with the current owner and the bike does run well. Had the carbs rebuilt last year. He's willing to talk about price but not till I come see it and give it a test ride. Would be interesting to have a bike that only around 5000 were ever made world wide. Definitely a conversation piece.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                        I spoke with the current owner and the bike does run well. Had the carbs rebuilt last year. He's willing to talk about price but not till I come see it and give it a test ride. Would be interesting to have a bike that only around 5000 were ever made world wide. Definitely a conversation piece.
                        Make sure and ride it for a spell and see if the vibrations in the bar as as bad as the one that I rode. My hands were numb in about 15 minutes. I guess you could try different grips, bars, vibranators, what have you, but it's a huge issue for me. Just wasn't comfortable. If you can get past that, and the price is cheap enough, I say have at it. You'll probably never come across another one out riding it, good conversation starter anyways!!!!
                        Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                        87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                        99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                        15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

well bikes been dropped
                          I think it brake lever is tweaked.
                          THe frambe bits in the rear are painted and bits look like they are missing.
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Not sure the levers being bent were from a drop. Looks like both sides are bent the same way but it's hard to tell from the pics. The missing reflectors were supposedly removed for saddle bags but who knows. He does still have them.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I liked them. There is one in my area and he won't ever get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
                                Other than the fact they are ugly as sin, not a bad bike, but not one I would never add to my muscle bike collection. A couple big negatives, the first being parts availability. Because there were so few made, parts are impossible to find! Secondly, because Honda had the patent on the 90 degree V4 engine, Suzuki had to put theirs at 86 degrees, which really threw off the internal engine balance horribly! They tried to mask it with rubber motor mounts, but I have ridden a few over the years, and there was a TERRIBLE handlebar buzz right around 3500 RPM! That would drive me nuts! I have seen these relatively cheap over the years, actually had several chances to get them for less than 500 bucks and passed on them. Just not one of the original 80's muscle bikes that does anything for me. Now, that being said, if I find a LOW mileage example for next to nothing, I might get one, just to say I have the entire 80's lineup of muscle bikes, but I wouldn't ride it much!!!!
                                That sounds like my Sportster ! It's like I'm back in the 70's riding a 2 stroke again.

My son had the Honda and pulling the carbs was a PITA and the fuel pump would stop working sometimes but other than that it ran good.
                                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
                                X