Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call me crazy but I'm actually considering this bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The nice part of these bikes is the not needing valve adjustments. Hydraulic lifters do the job quite nicely. Bike's still available. Might let him stew on it for a few days before I ask for less. If it sells it before then, then so be it.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Still working with the owner. Going to see the bike on Wed. Might be able to pick it up for $1200 if it's in the condition stated. Currently a daily rider with everything working.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Going to look at it tomorrow. If all checks out, I may have entered the crazy world of rare Japanese bikes.

Anyone looking for some cool spoked wheels? Changing them out for some GS1100GL wheels will probably be first on the mod list. Not sure what to do with the handlebars.
        Last edited by JTGS850GL; 02-21-2017, 08:39 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Rare and bizarre!
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            Rare and bizarre!
            Agreed. Looking for a daily rider to replace the GS850GL I'm using now. I still have the 1000G (1100G engine transplant) so I'm not going to be GS less. Just wanting something unique with a little more power. @ $1200 it's not a bad deal for a strong reliable ride. I love the, no maintenance, hydraulic lifters and the 6 speed trany. At 117HP it's not a wimp either.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              Going to look at it tomorrow. If all checks out, I may have entered the crazy world of rare Japanese bikes.

Anyone looking for some cool spoked wheels? Changing them out for some GS1100GL wheels will probably be first on the mod list. Not sure what to do with the handlebars.
              I was awhile back for my 1000G bagger project. I just sold my H-D bags and my be going a different route with it if I keep it. If they are cheap enough I'd still be interested. What are the sizes? You don't see many for sale down here, but when they do show up, they are too expensive. I love my GV1400 Cavalcade, but they changed the engine up some. The firing order was changed if I remember right, that may have been do to the vibration a few have mentioned. Then again it's a completely different beast.
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

If I'm not wrong, the '82 1100G did a quicker quarter mile than the Madura ...?
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

The Madura did the 1/4 mile in the low 11's. Don't think the 1100G could touch it. The 1100E was quicker at 10.69.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I've seen 1/4 miles for the 1100G listed in the 11's at over 116.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                      I've seen 1/4 miles for the 1100G listed in the 11's at over 116.
                      The quarter mile times in the day were with the obligatory 115 pound rider. Add a second for the typical 220 pound rider 60 year old GSR member today. I have to make a perfect run on my stock 1100e to break in to the 11s at 230 suited up. Power to weight and all....
                      sigpic
                      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                      1983 GS1100e
                      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                      1980 GS1260
                      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

It turned out to be a no sale. Bike looked good but after a few minutes of running it stalled. Upon restart it began to smoke out the left side exhaust. Too bad since it was in pretty nice shape overall. Guess I'm still a solid GS owner.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                          The quarter mile times in the day were with the obligatory 115 pound rider. Add a second for the typical 220 pound rider 60 year old GSR member today. I have to make a perfect run on my stock 1100e to break in to the 11s at 230 suited up. Power to weight and all....
                          That would have no bearing on the matter debated here, as I'm sure you would agree. Besides, the bike's capability is always assessed with those criteria managed in the same fashion by the press. That said, a good friend ran my FZ1 down the track in the 10's several times, and he weighed about 200 in gear.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

It turned out to be a no sale. Bike looked good but after a few minutes of running it stalled. Upon restart it began to smoke out the left side exhaust. Too bad since it was in pretty nice shape overall. Guess I'm still a solid GS owner.
                            You were spared from the curse of Frankenstein's monster.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Just as a side note. I was able to give it a drive. General feeling was it does have a ton of power but the vibration is present from the 2-3K RPM range. Was actually pretty annoying. Almost "Harleyish". Will never look at my GS1000 as being a vibrator again.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Just as a side note. I was able to give it a drive. General feeling was it does have a ton of power but the vibration is present from the 2-3K RPM range. Was actually pretty annoying. Almost "Harleyish". Will never look at my GS1000 as being a vibrator again.
                                My sentiments exactly, you probably saved yourself from a giant headache down the road. If you want a kick-ass power cruiser, there are TONS of V65's and VMAX's in that price range. Much more popular, more parts, more forums, just better bikes overall.
                                Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                                87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                                99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                                15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Working...
                                X