Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member and my project bike

Hey guys, new to the forum.
    I'm from the Chicago area and have been a car guy for the most part. I have a lightly modified S2000 I take to the track whenever possible and I drive a wrangler for winter.
    That changed last April when I picked up my first motorcycle, a 1980 GS550

It was in fairly poor shape when I got it. All the parts were there but you could tell it was dropped a few times and it barely ran.
    I bought it as a intended cafe racer project and that's exactly what I've been doing to it. Over the summer I managed to rebuild the carbs, paint the gas tank and get the new seat and handlebars on. Its still got a long ways to go but its finally starting to take shape as a cafe racer

And here she is right before going into storage.

Looks like a nicely done job. Like to see some more photos.
    I think you'll find most people on this forum aren't really into that look, so you may get some negative feedback, but don't let that bug you.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

It's not that many of us don't like Cafe bikes. We don't like bikes where the owner chopped off the rear frame and the mufflers and called it good. That looks good, and it was an "L" to start, no harm.... It's your bike, do it like you want.
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Welcome to the GSR and nice Cafe Racer!

It's also important to note (besides what BobGroger said) that a personality who can take criticism without getting bent out of shape also helps. And an addage around here (for the most part) is: Loud Pipes don't save lives! Lol

Great job and more pics pleased!

Ed
        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-01-2017, 10:41 AM.
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!

Dude, Great job on the bike, Not over done, tastefully completed!

Curious on what your using for the rear shocks?

Also good to see another RWD brother on this forum!!!

Welcome!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Hey Junkking, welcome!

That is a nice looking cafe bike. The look is growing on me I gotta admit. One of my step son's wants to do a cafe project sometime but that's way down the road. I have no intention of one myself as I like the upright riding position and the functionality of the stock 850's.

I'm not seeing blinkers or even one mirror on the bike in this pic. Was that just a shakedown ride or the completed bike?
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Welcome to the forum! The bike looks good, more pics, please.
              1978 GS1000E
              1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
              1981 GS1100E
              1982 GS1100E
              1982 GS1000SZ
              1983 GS1100ED
              1983 GS1100ESD
              1978 Honda CB750K
              1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Looks like nice paint job, and good craftsmanship.

That some aftermarket muffler....? Or is that what is inside a stock muffler....?

Are some GSR members in Chicago are and some in NW Indiana.

Last edited by Redman; 02-01-2017, 01:04 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Well done and welcome to the forum! I hope you don't ride it in the rain though, unless you don't mind your back getting soaking wet.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys
                    As far as the bike goes it is nowhere near complete. That last photo I posted is from me excitedly riding it around the block to the gas station right after getting the seat on haha
                    And as far as negative feedback goes i'm all good with that. Most my buddies are into sport bikes so you can imagine the heat I got when I brought home that beat up thing haha

So here are some additional photos of the build and where it sits now

My two babes at the beginning of the season

Stripped and ready for work. My GS550 next to my buddies GS450 project

Carbs getting a nice soak after disassembly

Tanks stripped and ready for paint

Carbs getting synced up after the rebuild

Tanks sprayed Berlina Black, the exact same color as my Honda

Now the part that'll make some of you cringe

Now for the semi complete pics. Don't judge it too harsh as it still has lots to go

Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2017, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                      Hey Junkking, welcome!

That is a nice looking cafe bike. The look is growing on me I gotta admit. One of my step son's wants to do a cafe project sometime but that's way down the road. I have no intention of one myself as I like the upright riding position and the functionality of the stock 850's.

I'm not seeing blinkers or even one mirror on the bike in this pic. Was that just a shakedown ride or the completed bike?
                      Definitely a shakedown, it didn’t even have a license plate or tail light that ride

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                      WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!

Dude, Great job on the bike, Not over done, tastefully completed!

Curious on what your using for the rear shocks?

Also good to see another RWD brother on this forum!!!

Welcome!
                      Thanks man, right now it has whatever shocks came on it. They have a reflector on them I can’t stand, probably gonna put some stock ones on.
                      What do you drive?
                      Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                      It's not that many of us don't like Cafe bikes. We don't like bikes where the owner chopped off the rear frame and the mufflers and called it good. That looks good, and it was an "L" to start, no harm.... It's your bike, do it like you want.
                      Guilty of the chopped frame until my hoop comes in haha

Comment

Originally posted by JunkKing View Post

Thanks man, right now it has whatever shocks came on it. They have a reflector on them I can’t stand, probably gonna put some stock ones on.
                        What do you drive?
                        I was curious for I'm making my GS650L into a cafe runner. I ended up grabbing a set of Emgo short style shocks from a sportster... So I'll have a NICE set of stockers available for cheap to a GSR member if you want em'.
                        They look like Harley Shocks... But it's great to see your GS and see what Mine (might) look like. I just have the shafty, it will be slightly different.

Are you thinking about running a loop on the frame?

My cage is a 13 Infiniti G37S Coupe:
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I often wonder about the cafe craze.
                          I will admit it is not for me - But I can see where it has merits.
                          You have done a nice job thus far on the bike - It looks like it will come out nice.
                          Opinions follow:
                          For me a ride like that would not be comfortable enough for the style of riding I do.
                          My rides are typically from FULL to EMPTY on a tank and then refill and do it again.
                          Unless I am commuting (my GS is for that mostly) which is a 13 mile ride to work and a 50 mile ride home
                          I do not think I would like this.
                          But perhaps form follows function ?
                          Being in Chicago area I suspect your rides are a bit shorter - especially the cafe thing (from place A to place B)
                          Therefore the ride can be a bit more function driven rather than comfort driven like my bike is with it's windscreen and custom seat and bags & trunk.

Your opinions may vary but well done none-the-less
                          Currently in the Stable :
                          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                            I often wonder about the cafe craze.
                            I will admit it is not for me - But I can see where it has merits.
                            You have done a nice job thus far on the bike - It looks like it will come out nice.
                            Opinions follow:
                            For me a ride like that would not be comfortable enough for the style of riding I do.
                            My rides are typically from FULL to EMPTY on a tank and then refill and do it again.
                            Unless I am commuting (my GS is for that mostly) which is a 13 mile ride to work and a 50 mile ride home
                            I do not think I would like this.
                            But perhaps form follows function ?
                            Being in Chicago area I suspect your rides are a bit shorter - especially the cafe thing (from place A to place B)
                            Therefore the ride can be a bit more function driven rather than comfort driven like my bike is with it's windscreen and custom seat and bags & trunk.

Your opinions may vary but well done none-the-less
                            That's why your primary is Wing Carl!

It's fun having little bike to crouch over and BLAST from point A to point B with just you satchel for storage and a open face helmet, good time!

Good for 100 miles or so a day, on gorgeous weather only though.
                            Last edited by Jedz123; 02-02-2017, 05:22 PM.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I love the attention to detail.

That includes the Papst in the chopping pictures. You cheeky little bastard.
                              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                              X