No announcement yet.

Timing an Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert, most bikes want to be timed at full advance. If you are lining them up while it is not running, then that is at full retard.

You time a Norton Commando at 3500 rpm or over. Those bikes will run backwards across the floor at those RPMs, and you really have to restrain them.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
      Robert, most bikes want to be timed at full advance. If you are lining them up while it is not running, then that is at full retard.

You time a Norton Commando at 3500 rpm or over. Those bikes will run backwards across the floor at those RPMs, and you really have to restrain them.
      Thanks Paul! Got it. I did try and adjust the Martek while running and it seemed to run better at the setting I stated BUT I was not revving the engine. Since my Martek is shot, Im getting the Dyna S soon and will follow their instructions unless anyone has any tips or tricks.

Comment

I got the Dyna in the mail and am installing it now. It obviously has the "view hole" to run a timing light through. I've ran the wires and it seems a little different than the marktek. Ill have to take some photos and get them up!

Comment

17191262_431559077182105_5697920699758214185_n.jpg
          Here is a photo of the martek being taken off

Comment

The next photo is of the dyna
            17264286_431571947180818_665044969782784873_n.jpg

I then bolted it on and wired it in.

Comment

I put the gopro on and made a video and will post it by today. What a difference!!! I now have a gs1000. Valves are perfect, carb is good, could use the dyna needle and 140 mains but the 137.5's do alright with 2 turns out on the air screw. Fow now. after the engine cools im going to check the valve cover bolts and clean it up, tighten the rear break since I recently removed the rear sets and installed the stock stuff, i forgot to adjust the rear break.

Ahh! The side cover fell off during testing. its in the video ill post.

Comment

Got a few videos up. Here's a link to the latest one where I kept blowing fuses on the freeway. I wired the Dyna power wire into the turning signal relay and I blew fuses twice on the turning signal fuse.

I was told by Paul that it might be the splice connector touching something or shorting out. take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zKOwE3JMEs

Comment

Originally posted by Caferob View Post
                  Got a few videos up. Here's a link to the latest one where I kept blowing fuses on the freeway. I wired the Dyna power wire into the turning signal relay and I blew fuses twice on the turning signal fuse.

I was told by Paul that it might be the splice connector touching something or shorting out. take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zKOwE3JMEs

Nice to see the ocean, but looked very flat.

Comment

Wire the power lead for the Dyna to one of the hot wires going to the coils and that will take care of the issue. The wires to the coil are switched with the key and thats the optimal place to get power for the Dyna lead as well seeing that its on the ignition circuit.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I recognize that tank bag. I probably bought that 30 years ago. I think it had mud wasps in it when I pulled it off the garage wall at the Maine house. Those are well made.
                      Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-18-2017, 02:16 PM.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                        I recognize that tank bag. I probably bought that 30 years ago. I think it had mud wasps in it when I pulled it off the garage wall at the Maine house. Those are well made.
                        Its the tank bag you gave me years ago. Super durable and love it!! Fits some amazing things in the hole

Comment

Working...
                        X