Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye Garmin? Maybe the App has finally arrived?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye Garmin? Maybe the App has finally arrived?

Full Disclosure- I am very Garmin challenged. I have sought out an alternative to BaseCamp at every turn (pun).

Pls see this post of mine that MAY be the end of motorcycle GPS units. We'll see.

1979 GS 1000e
    1967 Triumph Bonneville
    1986 Honda VFR 750
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2015 KLR 650
    2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
    2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
    2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
    And so on...

sigpic

The only issue with apps is that the phone is not water proof or shock proof but I hear what you're saying.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by open1mind View Post
      Full Disclosure- I am very Garmin challenged. I have sought out an alternative to BaseCamp at every turn (pun).
      I really enjoy my Garmin(s). I have tried Base Camp, but keep going back to Map Source. Not sure exactly why, probably just a lack of experience with the new program (Base Camp), but I like the 'feel' of Map Source better.

I have seen many threads on a Wing forum about problems with the Zumo GPS unit communicating with the laptop. Garmin's official 'fix' for the problem is to load Map Source, which has not been updated for three or four years.

My GPSes are all Nuvi 1490LMTs and work quite well. No, they are not waterproof, but a Zio-Loc bag takes care of that.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I really want to plan a long detailed trip, and upload the plan into a GPS. To date, I have not been able to do that. Using my Garmin, planning a route is super tedious, unless you want to take the routes that trucks take. I use Delorme Streets to plan. On the last long trip, my brother brought his notebook, and we used that with the Delorme plan in it. I've used it with my laptop in the car. Garmin just bought Delorme, so I expect an increase in sucktitude to increase.

How do you upload a plan into your GPS?
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
          Using Garmin's Map Source program is super easy. Base Camp also works, but I have only done it once, so am not quite as familiar with the process.

Basically, you plan the route in Map Source (MS), then click on the "Send to Device" icon to send it to the GPS. When it's done (just a few seconds), you have to import the route so it can interface it with all of the "Points of Interest" that were stored on the last map update. Once the map is imported, you select it, then press "GO". After it calculates the route, your pink line appears and says "follow ME".

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            The only issue with apps is that the phone is not water proof or shock proof but I hear what you're saying.
            Some phones are. One of the main reasons I still use an early Moto G is its relatively impervious nature.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

I'll try that, Steve. I've had a heck of a time planning a trip on my Garmin. Even a sub-400 mile trip from Orange County to see my brother outside of Phoenix, at every turn, it keeps trying to put you back on interstate 10. Way too many steps to add a point of interest waypoint or stop, and in between those it is difficult and time consuming to even know what route it has chosen. The one I have doesn't have enough memory for all that many of them, either. I rarely use it.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I hate garmins but they are still the easiest to use (and see! ) while actually riding a motorcycle or driving a car. Trying to sort out tiny buttoned software on a shiny smartphone screen (wearing gloves? hah! ) is hopeless, and incredibly dangerous unless you pull off the road. Even then, the gps is way easier to manipulate quickly.. Ps maybe A tablet would be better than a smartphone if you can find a good place for it in a fairing.)

Perhaps my automobile garmins are too old but I have never had much luck loading ROUTES onto them. . and anyways, neither mapsource nor the GPS will easily create a route I like- I must place special waypoints to ensure it takes the route I want... .Yes, I know Mapsource and the gps both may have ways to favour secondary roads("shortest or fastest" on the gps) but these will not get it right...Plus, my version won't export Routes that my Garmin Nuvis recognizes as routes. (it only sees "wpt" but not "rte" in the gpx format)

So, (IMO) the most successful way to "plan a route"In Mapsource is with exported and named waypoints (They must show up as "Favourites" on the Nuvi) on the route you really want to follow and export it as such.

Whether or not you have a gps that can make a real route, with multiple points, it is just as easy to pick the next waypoint in sequence before you reach it because Garmins order the waypoints in Proximity. .ie: since you have ensured you are on the road you want to be on, the Gps will usually keep you on it towards the next desired waypoint.If you have named your waypoints to be easily comprehended, it is simple to choose.
                Given your gps is as clumsy as mine (a nuvi 1450) Mapsource is a pretty good test of what the Nuvi will do with your waypoints. Note that the Nuvi is going to do the calculation.

WITHOUT mapsource or any other external app, Your gps has a ton of preloaded POI so you can simply pick a gasstation in a town on your route and goto it or include it in your "route" if your gps is capable..

naming waypoints: Using 001,002,003 will fail without more info...even if it's just A001,A002 to differentiate routepoints from other routes But more info on names is better. "Hwy5-01 -coffee" etc is soo much better...

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                  I really want to plan a long detailed trip, and upload the plan into a GPS. To date, I have not been able to do that. Using my Garmin, planning a route is super tedious, unless you want to take the routes that trucks take. I use Delorme Streets to plan. On the last long trip, my brother brought his notebook, and we used that with the Delorme plan in it. I've used it with my laptop in the car. Garmin just bought Delorme, so I expect an increase in sucktitude to increase.

There are literally libraries of 'How to" videos and motorcycle forums on this topic. I gave up.
                  My feelings- if it takes that much effort/practice/expertise, and I am paying $ 500 for my allegedly motorcycle specific Garmin, then something is wrong. I know I should just devote more time to it, but Google/Scenic is making it too easy. I have great trip to CA coming up next week, and it took me about 5 minutes to load 3 dependable and customized routes into my phone tonight.
                  We'll see if it works as advertised.
                  1979 GS 1000e
                  1967 Triumph Bonneville
                  1986 Honda VFR 750
                  2014 Indian Vintage
                  2015 KLR 650
                  2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
                  2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
                  2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
                  And so on...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by open1mind View Post
                    There are literally libraries of 'How to" videos and motorcycle forums on this topic. I gave up.
                    My feelings- if it takes that much effort/practice/expertise, and I am paying $ 500 for my allegedly motorcycle specific Garmin, then something is wrong. I know I should just devote more time to it, but Google/Scenic is making it too easy. I have great trip to CA coming up next week, and it took me about 5 minutes to load 3 dependable and customized routes into my phone tonight.
                    We'll see if it works as advertised.
                    Headed out for day, but
                    Yikes $500 (?) I paid $25 for my Garmin Nuvi and $5 for my Tom-Tom at two different local thrift stores.
                    It helps that where I live the median household income is $125K per year on the most recent report...

I mentioned the price to someone more "teky" (lol sp.? techy) than me and they said ,"well people use smartphones now [probably]"

Well it's great place to buy used but nobody stops for yard sales much , I noticed a while back.

I need the latest update for the Garmin because it told me to take "HOV Lane ahead" but it was actually "smart-pass" lanes now AND then I noticed a state police right after entrance , good thing I didn't turn. It has saved me time rerouting around traffic jams a few times though.

Got to run but be expecting an update w/ pics soon in my own GPS thread HERE soon since my speedo cable or gear broke recently and going to mount GPS until I get replacement...

Coincidentally, a [real] racer guy at a local MC shop was saying that GPS is used for speed checking on [their] race bikes and for route times, etc. these days over mechanical/actual speedos, interesting was all(?)...
                    Good day for now.

Comment

yes, I'm with you there! Yard sales! (I go for the biggest screen.)

I recently have been fiddling with an old TomTom Go720 until the snow goes ...IT actually does do routes "properly" as "itineraries"and can be "loaded" using its own maps directly when plugged into a Windows computer so no "mapsource" is needed... but GPX or kml from other sources are also easily translated by gpsbabel... There is as usual a learning curve to grok it's software logic ( a bit like trying to outsmart fish- they are too stupid!)

The only thing I am not liking so far is that I can't use OpenStreetMaps on it, like I can with a Garmin....

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                        My Samsung S6 Active (running Locus to act as a GPS) would like to disabuse you of the notion that phones have to be delicate little Faberge eggs... It's really too bad there aren't more tough, waterproof phones. Even if I didn't use it as a GPS on my handlebars, I'm klutzy enough that a waterproof phone is the only way a phone could hope to survive very long in my world.

The only issue in the rain is that raindrops sometimes make the phone freak out because it thinks it's being touched all over the screen. Enough forward velocity can keep this from happening unless it's really heavy rain. Or just throw a Ziploc bag over it.

When the phone was released, there was a "rain" setting for the screen sensitivity, but that disappeared somewhere along the way in one of the Android updates.

I experimented with a wireless (Qi) charging setup on the bike, but the amount of power used by the phone screen and GPS in continuous use and the heat generated by the inductive charging to keep up with demand led to overheating.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I've been using my iPhone but don't like to see it shaking/vibrating so much. I think it has affected my reception and GPS positioning.

Comment

Im in the market for a GPS to take with us on vacations. We often rent cars overseas and have used the iPhone but the data rates get expensive. Any suggestions for one with Europe maps?

Comment

So....
                              Am I the only guy that still just looks at a paper map, writes down the route, and sticks it in my tank bag pocket?
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                              X