Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member from the Netherlands

Hi other GS owners,

40 years ago, in 1977 as a kid of 18 years old I had lessons for my motorcycle license on a GS 550. I experienced the bike as huge and powerfull! As a poor student I had now money at all to buy such a bike. Two years ago I bought for just €250,- a GS550 from 1978. It has been restored the last two years.
    Greetings from the Netherlands,

Wijnand
    bijnaf.JPG

foto.JPGBefore restoring

Comment

Welcome. Nice bike.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Looks like a nice 550.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome, welcome wijnand!

I love how you describe your dream of owning a motorcycle. Finally, you were able to fulfill your dream--thats awesome!!!

It's a beautiful bike, looks like a fun ride. Thank you for sharing your story. If you take more pics, please share those photos as well. I'm a fan of European countries and love seeing beautiful backgrounds. So get "on your bike" and let's see the countryside!

Ed

EDIT: Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive!
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-03-2017, 10:28 PM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Excellent job on the resto, Wijnand.
            Dual disc, spoked wheel is a great look.
            Are those Jama pipes?
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

IMG_0058.jpgGS 550 on Dutch Dikes near river Rhine.

Comment

The pipes are new, stainless steel from the English brand Motad. I was lucky to buy them in a Ebay-auction for just €200,-. uitlaat.jpg

Comment

IMG_0056.jpgSpringtime near the German Border with typical Dutch landschape

Comment

Welcome and yes, a beautiful bike. Nice job on the restoration.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

nice one! Wijnand! well done! ....and I think those stainless pipes were an excellent investment!

Comment

Great restoration, and good score on the Motad pipes. They are not so easy to come by in North America, and certainly not at that price.

Welcome to the GSR. Looking forward to more pics of you running around the countryside on your 550.
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                        X