90's Roadracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90's Roadracing

If you've seen this before, I apologize, if not, enjoy! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0G...VnM/view?pli=1
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Thank you for the link. That was outstanding.
    Can you post Part 1?
    This might be Part 1 but i can't open it where i am to check.
    Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Thank you for the link. That was outstanding.
      Can you post Part 1?
      This might be Part 1 but i can't open it where i am to check.
      https://vimeo.com/111291023
      Steve, that was awesome! Those Brits know how to do documentaries.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
        If you've seen this before, I apologize, if not, enjoy! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0G...VnM/view?pli=1
        That was epic too! Thanks for posting
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Since fall is here & street riding is getting fewer & farther between potential rides, I watched the "Unrideables" part 1-2 again...,
          posted by recycled64 & Steve Murdoch.

Good stuff all around...even Wayne mentioning the unforeseen dangers inherent in racing at that level & accepting the consequences.

Comment

Yeah, crazy stuff. Glad I don't have to ride a 500cc 2 stroke on track days. They wouldn't have amateur track days if the bikes were that wild today.
            PS: I like Schwantz mo-betta, he's got a sense of humor.
            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 10-15-2020, 01:02 PM.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              Yeah, crazy stuff. Glad I don't have to ride a 500cc 2 stroke on track days. They wouldn't have amateur track days if the bikes were that wild today.
              You'd be counting highsides all day.

The intestinal fortitude required to ride a 500 cc 2-stroke tuned to the limit with no traction control, ABS or any other rider aids is incredible. As we saw in this video, even the best riders in the world were launched into orbit with just a hair too much pressure on the throttle.
              Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
              2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                You'd be counting highsides all day.

The intestinal fortitude required to ride a 500 cc 2-stroke tuned to the limit with no traction control, ABS or any other rider aids is incredible. As we saw in this video, even the best riders in the world were launched into orbit with just a hair too much pressure on the throttle.
                What causes the High Side? Is it rear wheel spin then grab? Or does it has something to do with the wheel base and steering geometry? I watched the video and noticed all the High side crashes. Just curious.
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  What causes the High Side? Is it rear wheel spin then grab? Or does it has something to do with the wheel base and steering geometry? I watched the video and noticed all the High side crashes. Just curious.
                  Rear tire spins up, steps out of line with the front tire, then grabs, launching the rider off the bike. Usually it's caused by the rider being a little too ambitious with the throttle.
                  Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                  2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Right, wheel spin then grab. Happened to me at just 20 MPH, result was broken right clavicle.
                    Why those bikes of that period kept high siding was, those 2 stroke Grand Prix engines had a very sudden power surge at certain RPM, like a rocket boost.
                    Rounding a corner in a race their bikes hit that RPM power surge REAL HARD.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

The best riding season is just starting here. I love these videos! Reminds me of the days when I actively followed Lawson, Schwantz, et al.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Okay, so what causes the Low Slide? Would that be the front wheel loosing traction? When I was at the Moto America race this year, there were two crashes that I saw. Both it seemed like the whole motorcycle just washed out. Loosing traction both front and rear wheels. The racer just scooted on his backside not getting hurt. I suppose the modern race motorcycle is equipped with traction control and all that jazz...?
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Okay, so what causes the Low Slide? Would that be the front wheel loosing traction? When I was at the Moto America race this year, there were two crashes that I saw. Both it seemed like the whole motorcycle just washed out. Loosing traction both front and rear wheels. The racer just scooted on his backside not getting hurt. I suppose the modern race motorcycle is equipped with traction control and all that jazz...?
                          A low side can be either the front or the rear going.
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I believe the main factor of the the "highside" is the suspension loading up after a slide, when the tire decides to grip again, causing a massive moment of compression-bottoming of the suspension, then release, adding to the height of departure from the bike.

Comment

Usually it's the fault of the rider, leaning the bike over beyond the limit of the tire grip.
                              It's very common type crash on track days, newbee riders trying too hard before they learn their tires limit. Mostly none or slight injuries, bikes skuffed and some bent parts.
                              Can happen on a bicycle, taking a corner with sand on the pavement.
                              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 10-16-2020, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X