Seat lock failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat lock failed

So, as if my bike didn't already have enough problems (some of which have been solved since), the seat lock gave up the ghost today.

Luckily, I was able to unlock the seat with the help of a screw driver, and get the lock out. Thanks to some other thread here on the GSR, I was able to confirm my hunch that this little metal thingie is a retainer, take it out and the lock comes apart:

I had a feeling that this is not a cause of a stuck lock, but something broke. Confirmed...

..and yep, missing on the cylinder:

How do I fix this best? From what I read on the other thread, it sounds like I could transfer the wafers to a new cylinder (I'd like to use the same key for tank, ignition and seat). Where to get one?

Alternatively, could I reattach that broken off pin/nub? Though I'm not sure if it would just break again later on.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Is there enough meat to the cylinder that you could drill it a little and wedge a steel pin in the hole and grind to fit the housings specs???
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Is there enough meat to the cylinder that you could drill it a little and wedge a steel pin in the hole and grind to fit the housings specs???
      Good idea.

I think I'll explore this route. But a spare cylinder, I'd like to have as well, to be on the safe side
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I'd be tempted to buy a used cylinder or seat lock. As for the key, just take the new one apart so the "pins" are exposed. Like in the final pic you posted. Insert your original ignition key into the cylinder and file any/all of the pins flush with the cylinder housing. That would be a lot easier than disassembly and moving those tiny pins to your new housing.

Comment

It's possible to drill and tap for a small cap head screw, you will need to be very precise with your drilling & tapping.

A new seat lock is a good option, hopefully you can find one with a working key that can be tested to verify it's not broken before you buy it.

If you do go that route please don't just file the wafers as suggested above, that would allow any key to fit the lock, almost the same as removing them altogether.

Switch over the old wafers to the new cylinder plug, very easy to do or if for some reason they are unusable do the following.

Insert your key and see which wafers align with the key, remove the ones that don't and rearrange them to get the best fit.

There are only 4 depths, so hopefully you can get it close, I have adjusted wafers by filing the inside of the wafer to allow it to align with the top of the cylinder. (only possible to change a high wafer this way)

I believe the tutorial I did on this procedure is still posted somewhere on here. (I'll see if I can find it)

David.
          Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 02-25-2017, 02:09 PM.
          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

You already have the correct wafers so get another lock and swap them in.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
              You already have the correct wafers so get another lock and swap them in.
              x2...search locally or ebay, find another assembly and swap guts. There should be an elongated cap on the other end where the shims and tabs come out...warning, be very careful removing them - I'd suggest the key be in when doing this to remove tension....your replacement assy may not have a key though. Those brass tabs and the little round shims must be kept in the correct order per notched section and in sequence for the length of the cylinder. If your not comfortable doing this swap, take new and old lock to a decent lock smith and for a minor fee they will swap them or revamp the new one to you old key.

Comment

Also you need to check the latch mechanism for any seizing / binding - the tab snapped off your tumbler for a reason
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
                X