Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy with a, well, GS1000 something...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy with a, well, GS1000 something...

Hi,
    I just acquired a GS1000 from 1978, I think, the frame plates are rubbed off by the harness. Anyway, it is mostly there but in pretty bad shape. I haven't decided what to do with it yet, all I know is that it's missing the complete exhaust system, air filter, one shock (!), and master cylinder. The engine is not locked and I'm getting some compression (haven't tried to measure it yet), and I also seem to get a weak spark from the dyna ignition system that's installed. Odometer reads 16k but who knows?
    I have great memories of my first bike, a GS850GN, but that was a "few" years ago so maybe it's just nostalgia.
    At a minimum I need to find a cheap exhaust system to attempt firing the beast, I am right to believe that pretty much any GS1000/1100 system should fit?

Expect a bunch of stupid questions in the future, and thanks for having me...

Daniel

IMG_1060.jpg

And because someone will ask for a picture...

Comment

Hey Daniel!
      Get ready for the fun, ha! There's a lot of helpful people here so fire away with the stupid questions. It will make me feel better, lol. My bike is an 80 so not sure how much help I can be...

On another note, don't meet someone from Asheville everyday. My best friend grew up around there (Lenoir). His dad was the plant manager for Thomasville. Boone is awesome (Blue Ridge Hwy incredible). Beautiful country...
      Slainte!
      O'Malley

Comment

Your bike is most likely a 79, not that it makes much difference for parts. If the choke is up by the handlebars, it's a 79

Good stock exhausts are hard to come by, your best bet is to go 4-1. But, that's what Ebay, CK and the Parts for Sale forum is for

Welcome aboard, check the New Members, Click Here! at the top of this forum and post up your work in the Projects forum. Every answer you need is here somewhere , or for the asking
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Bike might be a '78, but the tank appears to be a '79.

The '78 tank had an indent for a stripe, much like the tail section has.

Also appears to be an aftermarket color.

Nice to see that you have a Dyna ignition, I also see an aftermarket R/R (rectifier/regulator) on the right side.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys, most definitely a '79 then as the choke is in the steering tube.
            Fortunately I have enough experience to know that this is not a candidate for a restoration. But it could be a good base for a superbike or endurance replica. It will not be another cafe racer/bobber/hipster/craigslist abomination... I would rather part it out and see it go to help people in need.
            Regardless, if I do something with it it will have a 4-1. I still remember the sound of a Kerker opened wide, but for now anything will do. I need exhaust and gasket set. Then, maybe, carburetor kit, suspension,tires, paint...

Comment

Looks like a good start for project. Welcome!
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

FYI, get some Pirelli Sport Demon tires for that, some aftermarket 1998 Honda CB600 Hornet 296mm rotors, and look up salty_monk's "twin pot brake mod" thread for caliper sourcing Dan's aka salty's caliper brackets, & you will have a killer tire and front brake setup. Ninja 600ex master cylinder late model also.
                racetech fork springs and cartridge emulators in the forks.
                Spend $225-600 on rear shocks (lots to choose, I have a lot of suggestions)
                Get a Delkevic straight upswept road race stainless steel 4 into 1 that looks like the Yoshimura early Series 1 exhausts (they offer a flared megaphone version as well). Best exhaust I've seen for GS's for some time now. K&N oval pods. Rejet carbs. For some real refreshing zip, bore in Wiseco 1085 piston kit and a valve job by a shop that has a Serdi machine and the Serdi radiused seat transition cutting bits.
                Upgrade the regulator rectifier to a Shindengen SH775 Series style via ebay search for a used OEM Polaris ATV unit "Polaris 4012941" to get a reliable charging system. And by ALL MEANS do the popular coil relay mod to power the Dyna and the coils. Otherwise you are better off running points.

if you can search for Jim aka posplayr 's GS charging system health thread for his "popular GS rewiring" diagram, do that at same time. The RR, lack of an ignition relay, and some basic flaws in the charging system power distribution are the only real flaws in these GS's. The RR is GARBAGE...make sure stator still tests good ohm wise and AC voltage output measured with bike running off battery with stator unhooked.

these bikes are GREAT... especially with the wise 1085 kit or 1100 kit with the GS1100G head and aftermarket cams/carbs... legendary superbikes...

Take it easy and best of luck

Chuck in Ohio

EDIT - I see mention of an aftermarket Regulator Rectifier, but I'd still go with the Polaris OEM # 4012941 (used or brand new from dealer to ensure not getting a Chinese copy that is old fashioned shunt style)
                Last edited by Chuck78; 02-10-2017, 03:09 PM.
                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Thanks again for all the info.
                  So now, who has a cheap exhaust system for sale?

Comment

Of only you were closer... I do have a MAC 4-1 for 1000/1100's but dented substantially in bottom of head pipes and not worth shipping unless dents were repaired.

If you pull engine apart and want a cheap upgrade, you can get 1055cc by boring GS1100G pistons right into the 1000 liners!
                    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                      Of only you were closer... I do have a MAC 4-1 for 1000/1100's but dented substantially in bottom of head pipes and not worth shipping unless dents were repaired.
                      If it's painted and not chromed and I can still probably save it. I'll send you a PM.
                      BTW, what other years/models would fit my bike? I'm not looking for authenticity at this point, just something to restart the engine without upsetting the neighbors.

Comment

Looks like Ron has an exhaust for sale.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by dbarale View Post
                          If it's painted and not chromed and I can still probably save it. I'll send you a PM.
                          BTW, what other years/models would fit my bike? I'm not looking for authenticity at this point, just something to restart the engine without upsetting the neighbors.
                          Id say if you still had the stock headers cut the ends off and weld a kat600 4 into 1 to them. They work real nice on my cafe/hipster/abomination. The factory header had an inner and outer primary tube and the Yoshimura header i had from my kat fit inbetween the inner and outer and tigged up nicely.
                          I build Pipers

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have any part of the exhaust...
                            I took the float bowls off and the carbs looked clean. I blasted them with compressed air, dumped some gas in them and it fired right up, idled too.
                            I am starting to think sidecar project...

Comment

Congrats on the bike. Good luck with the project. I was looking at a similar situation on my 1000S a few years back, although I still had the head pipes. I found a set of D&D gixxer mufflers and made some adapters to allow me to use them. Not stock, but they worked. On the name plate, the info is stamped into the headstock through the nameplate sticker, so you should be able to find it. Have fun! Ray
                              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
                              X