Just got my first GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my first GS

Hey everyone. Just picked up my first Gs1000. Was excited to find on in decent shape. It was in a garage for 8 years. The owner did some normal maintenance but decided he didnt have enough time between all his hobbies for the track bike and this. Ive wanted one to work on and learn from.

Fast forward a month later....I cleaned the carbs, adjusted the floats, and changed the plugs. That took care of the misfire and potential carb issues. Still having fuel issues. Next step will be putting the stock airbox in and checking compression. In neutral it revs up to about 5k before giving up and in gear to 3700.

Ive done a few miles and i love how comfy it is. Cant wait to have it ready to ride.
    Attached Files

Hey sharkbait,
    Welcome to the forum...great looking bike, congrats!

No signature

Comment

Wow! Fantastic looking ride. Something to look for though. When the PO changed the air box to pods did he rejet the carbs? If he didn't you may find it runs better with the airbox. Check to make sure the airbox is well sealed with foam tape. Makes a big difference. Also check out Basscliff's website for pictorials and other useful information. Congrats on the new ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
        Wow! Fantastic looking ride. Something to look for though. When the PO changed the air box to pods did he rejet the carbs? If he didn't you may find it runs better with the airbox. Check to make sure the airbox is well sealed with foam tape. Makes a big difference. Also check out Basscliff's website for pictorials and other useful information. Congrats on the new ride.
        When we spoke he said he just didnt feel like putting the stock box back on. Thankfully it came with 2 boxes of parts and im pretty sure there are 2 stock boxes in there as well as brake kits, new fender, original and newer mirrors, original turn signals, and other misc items.

Comment

I like those cool alloy rims. They were lighter than the rims on the E, so all the magazines in the day tested the standard model at the drag strip. Less rotating mass = better acceleration.

That, and they look great.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

It came with the alloys as well. Im not sure if I want to mess with them yet or not. Haven't really decided what direction to go with the bike.

Comment

Hi everyone...

I'm Bagus from Jakarta, Indonesia

Also got my first GS650 drive shaft, but dont know which tipe is it, G or GL, very exited of it..
              got it with many things to repair
              the engine leaking, & still on progress repair it. front shock damage & many things non original
              want to give it back to original stuff and also change model to cafe racer

IMG 1.jpg

cant wait to ride it

ps: please info plug in rims, wanna change to wider rims

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkbait View Post
                Fast forward a month later....I cleaned the carbs, adjusted the floats, and changed the plugs. That took care of the misfire and potential carb issues. Still having fuel issues. Next step will be putting the stock airbox in and checking compression. In neutral it revs up to about 5k before giving up and in gear to 3700.
                Welcome to theGSresources!!! Your bike is very clean looking.
                Bummer about this RPM issue; hope it's just an adjustment issue, and if not then we hope you successfully repair it.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                X