• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
    I silk screened these....

Before....

After....

Not perfect, but they do look pretty good.

On the bike....

Those turned out great from what I'm seeing....reminds me I could use a new orange needle for one of mine while I still have them apart....

Inquiring minds wish to know....how did you remove the bezels to get in there? Thin screw driver...right? Just curious to see if there's a better way....

Comment

Yeah, very carefully with a thin screwdriver. Then I powder coated the bezels before putting them back on. I used 0000 steel wool on the needles to remove the yellow oxidation, then tipped them with some "hooker red" nail polish.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Those silkscreened plates are beautiful - very nice!

I did not realize I could remove the yellowing from the needles, I'll do that before I reassemble everything... thanks for the tip

If I could get away with just recoating my plates I'd gladly do it - unfortunately, they have warped substantially. My goal is to product completely new plates that will mimic the originals. I'm still not completely happy with my font... but, I'm working on that.

Thanks for the continued input guys - hopefully this time tomorrow I'll be posting pics of a blank plate!

Comment

Can't say as I have a need for new plates.
          With everything you are describing I find this to be real interesting.
          Would like to just hold one and examine.
          Really cool!!!

Comment

If everything goes well, that shouldn't be a problem

The parts should be done about .... now - I had to let the printer run past closing time for the shop, I'm going to run by after work tomorrow and pick up the plates and see how they came out. Will have photos and updates tomorrow. See you all then!

Comment

The guy in the shop ran the machine at lowest possible resolution - they came out looking pretty gnarly, but conceptually, it worked... I'm going to revise the STL files a little bit, tweak the resolution on curves and send them back to him to run on max resolution. The printer should have NO problem churning these plates out. If this fails, I'll try stepping it up and heading to a shop with a professional printer.

Comment

Updated files are at the shop; I'll have new photos Thursday when they finish printing. Max resolution, 100% infill.

Will be a step up from the 1/8" max resolution, and 10% infill.

Comment

Just by way of showing you all, that first go around was REALLY gnarly... but, lowest possible resolution with lowest possible infill will do that!

Pics of the new ones due thursday.

ALSO! I FIGURED OUT HOW TO POST PICTURES! GREAT SUCCESS!!

Comment

Nifty! ��☺��

Comment

Hey guys, I haven't abondoned this! I know I'm late to the party, but I'm actively working on alternatives.

The 3d prints came out WORSE on max resolution and max infill!

I'm in touch with a gent who owns a laser cutter, we're negotiating material based on type, application, exposure to elements etc - doing the 'strength of materials' part first... Narrowed it down to a few good plastics. My first choice was acetyl resin, but it will not take paint and cannot be safely cut on this machine. PETG might be an alternative, still researching the properties and chemical comp - chlorinated material is completely off the table... Irritatingly, acrylic may be the way to go... We'll see.

I'll post updates the moment I have a prototype cut!

Comment

Hey just out of curiosity what kind of printer are you using? I know pla material will deform at a fairly low temp. I left a pla part in my car on a 95 degree day and it disformed pretty bad. I am currently designing my own storage box and air box for my gs550 and the best material I found to use is colorfabbs ht material. It can stand up to 212 degress before it starts to deform. The only problem is you have to have a printer that can have a nozzle temp of 260 degrees celcius and a build plate temperature of 115 degrees celcius. I was using an ultimate 2 extended, but I am wanting to save up for an ultimaker 3. Ha ha that's a ways out though

Comment

Hey there - thanks for the input Ace!

I'm working with a Makerbot 2 (pro?) Gen 5. It's actually running ABS on the most recent set of plates - but PLA on the first ones.

As a general update - the guy who own the laser cutter is moving shop, so he's got my files, my drive, etc... Once they get set up in the new building he'll get the parts cut. he's going to assist in setting up a silkscreen operation as well, so it shouldn't be a problem getting original - or close to original - appearance out of this. Sorry for the delays guys; the city council is voting TODAY on his new building... We'll see what happens!

Comment

The gent who's ledning me a hand got the approval from city council for the new location! They're finishing the move and hosting their grand reopening later this week, so my project will be one of the first for the reboot and the super sexy new building; also used a showcase for recruiting... yikes :/

Anyways, I hope to have a legit update SOON!

Comment

Still working on it guys, glitches to iron out with the laser cutting software. Not abandoned, not forgotten, just lax on updates. Pics soon, as soon as we figure out why the software destroys scale.

Comment

This thread has inspired me to try to work out what's needed to create complete gauges from scratch. So I'm eagerly watching your progress.
                                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                                X