Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owner GS550

Hi guys,

New member from the South West UK. Been in to bikes my whole life following the tradition from my gramps brother (dispatch rider in burma WWII) my gramp (Navy WWII - AA patrol man on a Norton sidecar outfit and Triumph owner for many many years) and my Old Man (proper old school biker from the early 70's and still going).

I'm a serial garage builder / bike abuser. I get a bike with all good intentions of keeping it stock and standard but the inevitable happens then out comes the grinder and all of a sudden its either hard tailed / raked out / street fighter'd / custom....

Picking up two GS550's at the end of the month. One looks pretty stock and one has been butchered to a hardtail with what looks like a GS500 wheel in the back. Both will be projects as for as long as I can remember GS fours have been in my family for years from my old man with GS850's through the late 70's until a couple of years ago.

I've got some plans but not sure how far I'll go with it. The hardtail will be stripped back to headstock and started again as it looks dire. This one will also be a hardtail but I want to build it very differently from the norm. The almost original looking one I want to keep as original as possible or part out.

Anyway, pictures to follow and the obligatory photo thread of the build when it gets going.

Welcome,

Interesting way to describe yourself on the way you decide to revive a bike...In this case, a GS550. (2 of them!)

We all enjoy pics so looking forward to that. I suppose you won't have a narrative until your mind plots direction. Either way, should be fun to watch. But I must warn you, (even though you may already know) members here can be very critical as well as opinionated about rebuilds.

I'm not bothered either way. It's your bike so do with it as you please. I will tell you if I like it or not. That's about as harsh as I get.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Cheers dude,

With the style of building that generally ensues I have been the recipe of praise as well as the brunt of many criticisms, all to deaf ears. I had four years of abuse as an apprentice in the construction industry, you get thick skinned very quickly.

I've got something planned for the hardtail but materials and space may well be the factor as to how much it'll evolve to. I'm thinking of possibly parting or restoring and riding the other as it looks fairly stock although I haven't had chance to get a proper look at the yet until the coming weekend. Some parts have already been requested from local clubs for charity builds so I may well part it, I'll see whats left.

Comment

Working...
      X