Crack in cylinder head 83 GS 1100 E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crack in cylinder head 83 GS 1100 E

I'm just about to take the cylinder head off the bike due to a crack in the housing caused by an exhaust stud being driven in to far and oil has been leaking ever since. The bike runs great and the only problem is this leak.
    I have a couple of questions and looking for advice.

Is it worth it to send the head to a machine shop that specializes in aluminum motors and have it x-rayed, welded, and hopefully repaired, or get new/used head?

Is there anybody on this site that would know where I can find a replacement head?

Is there anything I should be aware of when doing this repair, I have a manual and an awesome set of tools!?

I'm going to look on eBay and try local bike salvage but I prefer to deal with someone from this site as I have more trust here when it comes to the GS's.

What is anyone's thoughts if I remove stud and use some JB weld on the stud and then reinstall?
    I'm wondering if that will make it more difficult to remove if the leak still persist?

Comment

You sure its from the stud and not from the head nuts o-ring that leaks. is it the #4 stud from the left thats "leaking"?

Comment

#3 exhaust port upper bolt/stud.
        But I'll recheck.

Comment

Sounds like a new head is in order. Put a wanted ad up.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

It's easy to fix if you have the head off. No need to replace the head. PM me your # & I will call you.
            Ray.

Comment

JB weld will not work. The exhaust port temps are too high in that area for the JB. I'm betting that welding up the hole and re taping it is the cure.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Hi rapidray, I sent you a PM and thanks for your help.

Comment

So I believe I will be removing head to get it welded. I don't trust the easy way and the bike is to good to do band aid repairs on it.

Ok now the next question.

Gaskets? should I replace with top end kit or just get the two main large gaskets?

Dose anyone know where I can get reasonably priced kit?

Again no leaks anywhere except where the stud cracked the block.

Comment

Originally posted by Fancool View Post
                    So I believe I will be removing head to get it welded. I don't trust the easy way and the bike is to good to do band aid repairs on it.

Ok now the next question.

Gaskets? should I replace with top end kit or just get the two main large gaskets?

Dose anyone know where I can get reasonably priced kit?

Again no leaks anywhere except where the stud cracked the block.

If Ray gets a hold of it, it'll probably come back making another 20hp! :-)
                    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

DSC_7857.jpg
                      Already have the Mikuni flat side carbs, V+H super sport pipe, Drag clutch and more.
                      Not my doing but certainly makes for an exciting ride!!

Comment

Make sure you update this thread on how it's fixed, it'll help others in the future. Nice looking bike!
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Yes I will. I took apart most of the top end today and hopefully will have the head off tomorrow. So far the motor is coming apart very well.

Comment

Clinder head removal.

031.jpg
                            The cylinder head is off.
                            ordered new gasket kit , need to get this head checked and repaired .

Comment

032.jpg

A lot lighter now.

Comment

Working...
                              X