1982GS1100G or GS1100GL ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982GS1100G or GS1100GL ?

Bought this to fix up and sell and may just keep it.
    Carbs are off and sending to Chef. New front tire, new battery. Need mirrors and going to replace the handle bars.
    Is this a GS1100G or 1100GL ?
    The back fender is standard instead of the bobtail style.
    20160221_162314.jpg

Looks like an L to me. Chrome fender has been painted over but the handle bars, tank and the seat say L.

Here's a couple of Google images for comparison

To be sure what you have here's a link to one of the main GSR pages.

There's a link on that page to send an email with your engine number, VIN and color to the administrator. Hopefully Frank can help get it sorted for you.

Good luck with it. Looks pretty nice from what I can see.
    Post a better pic please.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

It is an L.

Chef kicked ass on some carbs that I sent him. They had some missing parts, and they were no varnished I was concerned about my ability to dismantle them without damaging them. Plus, I was working out of town, and didn't have any time. His bench synch was so perfect that I put the gauges on, and didn't have to make any adjustments.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks
        Probably sending carbs this week

On another note, the tank has a ghost painted " in memory of" and I would like to give it to the family that lost their 17 yr old son it was dedicated to.
        I cannot find a clean tank as a replacement. I'm trying to do something nice and don't want to spend a small fortune to buy a half decent used tank.
        Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Comment

Ride it for an hour. If you love it, it's a G.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
            Ride it for an hour. If you love it, it's a G.
            Please note that not all people FIT on a G, so that statement is not necessarily correct.

Yes, many of those that don't fit happen to be of the female gender, but there are many guys with shorter legs that NEED the shorter ergonomics of an L.

And then there are the ones that really do LIKE the looks of the L models. The visual differences were meant to make them look more like a "chopper", with the leading-axle forks that make them look extended, chrome fenders, teardrop-shaped tank, higher handlebars, stepped seat, shorter mufflers, etc.

I love my G enough that I have turned it into a pseudo-GK, my wife loves her L enough that we have put a fair amount of money into it to customize it a fit it to her.

Please take comments like wymple's with a grain of salt. They are obviously a statement of preference (his), not necessarily undisputable fact.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have the "L" and I really like it.
              One of the reasons I got it was it was available, and in a unique color combination rarely seen in the GS 850 scene
              The "G" has a larger (better) fuel tank in my opinion and I spent money on a really good custom seat from Diamond so I can ride it for hours.
              Other than stopping every 125 mile or so for fuel it is a great touring bike (but I use it mostly for commuting every day in summer)
              For touring I just ride my 'Wing.
              "G" or "L" works just fine for a daily ride to work bike -- and the low seating position really is comfortable when waiting for a light to change colors.
              "L" dislike is a stereotype perpetuated by those who would only have 1 choice for bikes...
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Can't say I love the looks of my L (needs a complete paint job, dirty as hell) but it sure is a fun ride.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Before buying my first 850 G in 1991 I test rode an 1100L and a harley sportster 883. The G won me over with it's riding position and it's girth. It seemed a more stable proportional ride for me. Not that I was or am a very large guy, still the same height and weight as when I was a teenager, 5'8" 140lbs and still prefer the G. The guy I sold my L to last year said it felt small and narrow and he was over 6' tall. He still bought it though
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I like the L. Many don't.
                    Ride your ride.

I think it's a nice idea to give the tank to the family.
                    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

aLL righty then! Let's not Let one man's Love for his bike be Laid to rest by another's iLL opinion. After aLL, opinions are Like.....noses, everyone has one.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

I have been on 1100 G, L and GK models, and an 850G or two. I like the lower seat position on the "L", but prefer the seat on the other models, as well as the larger fuel tank, as I have always liked long distance rides.

IF I recall correctly, the front wheel is mounted differently on the L models, in front of the fork instead of directly under it, giving it a different trail.
                        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                          IF I recall correctly, the front wheel is mounted differently on the L models, in front of the fork instead of directly under it, giving it a different trail.
                          Your recollection is partly true.

Yes, the axle is mounted in front of the forks, but there are different triples that hold the forks back, behind a 'normal' position. That leaves the axle in pretty much the same place, in relation to the rest of the bike. Only the position of the fork tubes is different.

If you compare the suspension geometry specs, the wheelbase is within a couple tenths of an inch, the rake is the same, the trail is the same. There is no reason to believe that the bike will handle any differently due to steering geometry. Yeah, the ergonomics are different, which will make some uncomfortable maintaining the same cornering speeds, but the bike is still just as capable.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Your recollection is partly true.

Yes, the axle is mounted in front of the forks, but there are different triples that hold the forks back, behind a 'normal' position. That leaves the axle in pretty much the same place, in relation to the rest of the bike. Only the position of the fork tubes is different.

If you compare the suspension geometry specs, the wheelbase is within a couple tenths of an inch, the rake is the same, the trail is the same. There is no reason to believe that the bike will handle any differently due to steering geometry. Yeah, the ergonomics are different, which will make some uncomfortable maintaining the same cornering speeds, but the bike is still just as capable.

Thank you for the correction.

I will knock a spider web or two out of the memory shadows and store this info.
                            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Make a post in the "Classified - parts wanted" section, or browse the parts for sale. Maybe you can find a tank for not too much money.

Comment

Working...
                              X