drz400 vs klr 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drz400 vs klr 650

I crunched some numbers and it turns out the drz has a 38% advantage in H to weight ratio over the klr.
    I wonder what that translates to ? Is it just quarter mile times and top end speed?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Depends on what type riding you intend to do. When I began looking for a dual sport bike I wrote off the DRZ as soon as I saw the seat. If your intent is a lot of trail riding without have to traverse a lot of highway, the DRZ would be great. The KLR is a lot of things but fast isn't one of them but I have had more fun and adventures on it than any bike I have ever owned.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
      I crunched some numbers and it turns out the drz has a 38% advantage in H to weight ratio over the klr.
      I wonder what that translates to ? Is it just quarter mile times and top end speed?
      I wouldn't concern myself too much with HP/Lbs ratios on those bike. It's not a useful measure of comparison IMO.
      They are very different bikes. The DR-Z is a far better off road bike, not even close. The KLR is somewhat better on road. So which is better for you depends on your priorities, needs and interests.
      The biggest weakness of the DR-Z is the seat, but that can be fixed. Even with the stock seat you can go aways, I've done 300 mile days on mine.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

So whats this one worth 2003 40000kms
        half chain life decent tires burns no oil
        Attached Files
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I have two friends with DRZ400's, it's going to be the better off road bike. Any dual sport is a compromise, but the DRZ is more geared toward being a good offroad bike. It won;t be as awesome offroad as a 175-300cc 2 stroke, but it will be one of the best compromises while still getting a capable off road bike, The KLR is a tank for any really fun trail riding, It does good on fire roads and forest service roads, and is not even as fast as the DRZ, but the KLR is the better highway bike, but still...its a dual sport so it's not going to be the best bike for the streets and highways anyways.
          Forgive me as I didn't read much else in this thread, but just saw this in the new posts, so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
          My buddy with a KLR reluctantly rides with us on the more technical areas of the great public ATV trails here, but he always wants to go to the easier sections, He manages to hang with us whilst manhandling that 430lb beast through tougher trails, but we blow through it on 220lb 2 strokes without getting totally wore out, and with bigger grins! the DRZ is about 250lbs dry. So it won;t be too much harder to handle on the tougher stuff than our 2T trail/enduro bikes.
          I cant comment much on DRZ400 vs KLR650 on 55mph-70mph roads
          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I just went to look at a 2010 DRZ400, in better looking shape than that one but needed a signal, new chain/sprockets and it looked as thought the entire top end was replaced at some point, he was asking $4200 firm. Out here they go anywhere from 4-6k. The one you posted would likely be $4000.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

You can pick them up for under $2500 out here.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I haven't ridden either one but I've drooled over the DRZ for years. I want a dual sport to ride on city streets to an off road experience, not tour the nation.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                X