1982 gs1000s katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs1000s katana

I just got this bike from a friend of mine. It was restored when he got it but it needseems a few more little details finished up. I just went through the carbs and then synced them up. Other than that the bike runs amazing. Supposedly it has an 1100 head but I haven't verified that. The intake ports have been ported but other than that it appears stock. According to the engine vin it's #288 , but out of 500? That's what I was told. Is there a registry for these bikes? My friend also said there were only 88 left. I have more experience with old Harleys, but I have always liked sport bikes. Am I missing something? Thanks.
    Attached Files

Nice Kat! They are one of the very coolest GS based bikes.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Welcome. Nice looking Kat. Cant help but notice the Corvette in the background, and a solid axle old school looking hot rod front end to the side......
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

No mundane Vette, either ...
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Welcome to the site, Clay.
          Nice looking Kat with a very sought after Supertrapp.
          Lots of opinions on production numbers. This is an old thread from a dedicated Katana site and they don't seem to know.
          Maybe 600 in the States?
          Only for Kats made PRIOR to 1988. Pics, Sightings, General Information, Questions; <br> if it has to do with vintage katana's you'll find it here.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks, I really like the bike, and wanted to get the story right. The vette is a 67 I think, with a 427 and 3x2 and a muncie 4speed. Correct numbers and as you can see we pulled the body off for a CORRECT restoration. It's one of my bosses cars. The solid axle is a 33 ford fiberglass car. I'm doing exhaust and other Misc stuff before I start building the car. It's got a pretty nasty 5.0 .

Comment

I thought the 1000 kats were a homologation special with VM 30 carbs, that has CV carbs.
              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

I believe everywhere but the US got 32mm flatslides and here we got 34mm cv.

Comment

Had a look on Wikipedia and they were VM32SS round slides
                  My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                    I thought the 1000 kats were a homologation special with VM 30 carbs, that has CV carbs.
                    There were 2915 SZ Katana 1000 SZs' produced all except the US versions had VM32 slide carbs, 130 of these were imported to UK I don't know how many the States had. Nearly half of them went to Australia an NZ.
                    It seems that there are more 1000cc versions come up for sale than the 1100s'. A fast bike in it's day and very stable.
                    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I got my info here. This guy compiled a bunch of information about these bikes.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wow, can't read that at all
                        USa was special, we got the 34 cv's from the 1100

Comment

If you Google " suzuki katana the story of a unique style "
                          And prove you're not a robot, you can download his 40 or so page history of katana bikes

Comment

I don't know enough technical details on the various queries there but there are a few fellas on the Katana Australia site who would be the best bet. They've forgotten more about them than I'll ever know... although one of the brainiest is actually a member on here also so you might try PM'ing him? Shin-Ken 1074 is his forum name.

It's interesting though that your Kat has the '83 and onwards "3 spoke" cast wheels rather than the snow flakes.

That's a nice looking Kat though, you should be very proud!
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The 1000 head was the same as the 1100 head. The cams were different for the 1000.
                              Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X