Question on '82 GS850 pillion grab handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on '82 GS850 pillion grab handle

I own an '80 GS850G...PO had the seat recovered {nicely} but it was sans the pillion grab bar...which was fine by me...then. As of lately my daughter says she wants to ride on the back and that "I need a grab handle". Yes, I've tried to explain to her that "I'd" prefer her to hang onto me...but being that she's a teenager, and I'm sure she doesn't want to readily hang on to her father, her mind is set in stone.
    Enter an old friend of mine who happened to have a handle laying around for free...but it was for an '82 1000G {different spacing for mounts}.

My question is- he has the lower bolts and spacers and just upper bolts.............."no spacers for the upper bolts?"
    {I looked at the oem '82 parts sheet and see nothing readily for upper spacers...just bolts}

Wow...guess I stumped a lot of you with this one.
    Turns out I found a semi viable solution....I made a few cables for locking the snowmobiles long ago and those kits {to make a crimoped loop with covered cable} also gave me a pair {each set - I had 2 sets} of end clamp pieces for a single unlooped end. Those fittings are an 1/8" shy of the over-all length {bar to seat} that the oem smaller spacers are. I still need to come up with a rubber washer or something so the seat material doesn't get torn.
    I'll post pics tomorrow of my solution, after I give them a quick polishing...

Comment

I used some copper pipe as spacers when I adapted a yamaha rail to the 650... it's soft so you can file it to suit the round of the rail.

Comment

Got pic today...camera battery was dead last night.
        Here's my solution. I think it better matches the bar.{my opinion}
        new gas cap seal and pillion spacers 001.JPG

Comment

Here's the one and only supplied bar end cap...I still need another {crud!}
          new gas cap seal and pillion spacers 002.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X