What should I attack first if on a budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I attack first if on a budget

Looking to tune up my gs 750t. Where should be my first area of attack. Originally I was thinking have carbs serviced and synced, unfortunately I'm not really comfortable doing that myself. The next idea I had was checking the valves and make sure they're still in special, which I believe I could do. Any other ideas on what to approach first if you want to get your bike in top running condition?

While I am not a guru like so many here, I think I am safe is suggesting that the valves clearances would be first and the synch last. Of course this assumes you have clean carbs to begin with.

Check the tank for gunk, new fuel line and filter, new air filter and spark plugs. Get everything up to spec to eliminate as many variables as possible. If you have reliable spark your efforts with the carbs will be be more productive.

Best of luck.

Comment

The best way to get the carbs serviced and synched is to do it yourself. If you are on a budget you will save a lot of money. It is not as daunting as it seems. Go into Basscliff's website and study the carb cleaning section. You have a choice between the Berrymans carb cleaner or sonic cleaning. I used another product as Berrymans is not available here but found it too harsh and smelly. Then I invested in a small sonic cleaner and there are a number of solutions that you can use. The sonic cleaner has already paid for itself as I have done a few other carbs for others since.
      Look at it as a learning process and go outside your comfort zone. You have come to the right place as there are many people on this forum that are ready to help you. The 750T is a nice ride and the more you can do to maintain it yourself the more pride you will have in owning it.

Comment

Leave carb sync until the valves are done. There is no point balancing airflows at the carbs if you then go and change it all by changing the valve opening times.
        For me the first thing to work on is the electrical system. Cleaning connections and chasing down voltage drops is labour intensive so it pays back bigtime on a budget.
        Thing is, as each half volt is chased down a whole bunch of 'ignition' and 'starting' and 'carburettor' problems tend to melt away.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Boy where to start, that's a tough one. I have a feeling you could ask a hundred people and get a hundred different answers. A great place to start is right here! Many heartaches can be avoided by reading through that thread first.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Cleaning the carbs is not hard at all, especially if you're on a budget. Just read up on the instructions, ask questions, get your supplies/tools in order, and make a plan. Of course, if the bike runs and idles fine, then there's no reason to clean them.

It's good to check the valves, of course, and you'll need to do a carb sync after, as others have mentioned.

Have a look at your service manual and see if there's anything that hasn't been done in the last two years. Check the air filter, spark plugs, brake pads. Replace the brake fluid if it's a few years old. Check the health of the charging system, that sort of stuff.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

IMO I would start with the most important part, the brakes. Take everything apart and clean out the 35 year old gunk. And replace the brake hoses. THEN get it running.
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by Kman123 View Post
                Looking to tune up my gs 750t. Where should be my first area of attack. Originally I was thinking have carbs serviced and synced, unfortunately I'm not really comfortable doing that myself. The next idea I had was checking the valves and make sure they're still in special, which I believe I could do. Any other ideas on what to approach first if you want to get your bike in top running condition?
                • Determine your budget.
                • Determine your ability to do the work yourself.
                • Bail early if you don't have the time, money or inclination.

Comment

start with maintenance as the others have suggested. Get everything working as the oem intended. So brakes, suspension, engine. There is no point to riding if you can't stop or turn.

Keep in mind all parts are 30+ years old. Brake hoses are recommended to be changed every 5-10+ years.

Get a manual or book. Study, ask questions to anyone who will listen and you verify knows the bikes.

We bought a '78 gs550 project a few weeks back. It runs but all the other systems required basic attention. My $300 bike will be closer to a grand once the brakes, suspension and engine maintenance are complete with all work performed by me. We are doing 1 or 2 projects each weekend.

Last weekend was rebuild caliper, install stainless brake hose.

This weekend is new tires, tubes, front end rebuild with sonic springs assuming they arrive.

I hope to be done by the end of the month.
                  The GS toys:
                  79 GS1000L 1st bike sold many moons ago...
                  78 GS550
                  81 GS650G The son's
                  82 GS650GL parts bike
                  85 GS700ES in progress
                  85 gs700E parts bike
                  82 GS1000GL in pieces
                  80 GS1100L in progress

Comment

Working...
                  X