Auto deletion of old posts sucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto deletion of old posts sucks.

trying to find one of MY old posts for reference on something I did and shared with the community and it no longer exists.

I am saddened by the historical knowledge that has been lost by auto deleted timed out posts especially since the gurus are aging and dying and us newbies won;t have their knowledge.
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Just imagine how tough it was when, you had to write everything on papyrus with a stick and the rains came.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Just imagine how tough it was when, you had to write everything on papyrus with a stick and the rains came.
      I'm not old enough to remember those days....

However, apparently that stuff holds up pretty good if you put them in clay pots and hide them in caves. lol
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

the question is why are we deleting them anyway? the old argument of storage space is no longer an issue with today's ridiculously cheap storage.
        1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
        1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
        1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. I just checked my subscribed to threads and I've got ones saved from 2011 that I started and saved for future reference. As far as I know the only threads that get ejected are in the Vortex and campfire after lack of use for some time............
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
            I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. I just checked my subscribed to threads and I've got ones saved from 2011 that I started and saved for future reference. As far as I know the only threads that get ejected are in the Vortex and campfire after lack of use for some time............
            The forums that get ejected are listed somewhere.

Given the search capability, it might effectively be all forums.

Comment

so a couple data points

under the "activity" tab of my profile, I see only posts from today (my next most recent posts from 9/2016 are not on the list)

if I search for my user name I see (most) posts going back to 2013 (I was a member prior to 2013)

in the name search I am missing posts (so I'm also assuming the topic) corresponding with the seller for the ES I got in Toronto in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                I've got ones saved from 2011 that I started and saved for future reference.
                I believe it is the last reply that triggers the deletion so it would be interesting , though started in 2011, when the last reply was.

Comment

Give a couple of seconds and I'll look at a couple..........
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Okay. Here's one where I ask a really stupid question in the same month I joined and hadn't learned anything yet. It starts and ends in the same month......
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

Actually I just took a second look and it starts and ends on the same day..............
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

I thought the technical forums were saved, while Campfire, Vortex, for sale / wanted threads were deleted. Not sure of the others.

Add.... I have Routes and Destinations, and a GS Stories threads from 2013 still hanging around, plus my first technical question from 1/13 also- still unresolved
                        Last edited by dorkburger; 02-21-2017, 04:46 PM.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Just found this in the "Thread: For those who can't login and are too lazy to read the FAQ"

Why did my posts disappear?

In order to keep the database to a manageable size, various forums on the site are regularly purged to delete old posts. These forums are GS Motorcycle, Off Topic, The GS Meetingplace and all For Sale and Wanted forums."
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            These forums are GS Motorcycle...
                            what is that?

is it http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...iscussion-Area

that seems like a common place to discuss GS stuff and a better thing to purge may be other bikes

again "manageable size" ????

I get for sale and off topic.

Glad the technical stuff stays

Comment

Working...
                            X