Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

polishing aluminum - is there a OEM clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

polishing aluminum - is there a OEM clear coat?

I was drooling over some of the high gloss aluminum pics on here ans since I have my stator cover off I was thinking of polishing it.

Do the OEM alum have a clear coat? am I asking for more future maintenance if I shiny polish?
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
    I was drooling over some of the high gloss aluminum pics on here ans since I have my stator cover off I was thinking of polishing it.

Do the OEM alum have a clear coat? am I asking for more future maintenance if I shiny polish?
    I have had all mine polished but never clear coat. It's my opinion you are just asking for more trouble with the clear coat. Once they are polished they are super easy to maintain. Cheers
    No signature

Comment

thanks

RE: clearcoat - the Q is...is the OEM clear coated or is it plain alum?

I ask since the outside carb bowls were clearcoated and it seems that the engine is coated as well.
      1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
      1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
      1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Factoy used clear
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yes they uses a think clear coat some of which yellowed with age and heat.
          Suzuki iirc used a portion of lead in their castings and this among other reasons is why they tarnish so readily.
          Most clearcot seems to bubble up and peel due to a chemical reaction beneth it.

So if you recoat your just going ot have to strip and polish again Next time woth possibly pitted parts as I have never seen a clear that comes close to that hard stuff the OEMs used.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I used Por 15 Glisten PC clear on some polished aluminum parts and they held up decently. No corrosion after 5 years or so and running. Clear powder coat would be a good option too.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Andrew... Just thought I'd share some very recent experience with highly-polished aluminum engine covers. I bought a set of polished engine covers for a Honda (can I say that word on this website?) last year on Ebay. They were gorgeous for the first few months. I live in Michigan, so I parked the bike in my carport in October for the winter. It never got rained on, but it did get pretty damp several times just from the moisture in the air. Because of all the salt they use on the roads around here in the winter, a lot of salt "dust" is generated and settles on everything - including my gorgeous engine covers. Two days ago, I brought the bike out into the sunlight and saw to my horror that all of the covers were now covered with salt, and corroded again.

I now have an '81 Suzuki GS850G that I am bringing back to life, and contemplating whether I should polish those covers. If I do, I will either find a good "hi-temp" clear for them, or just figure on wiping them down at the end of the riding season with a rag soaked in a light oil to protect them. Then next year, I will hopefully just have to do a quick clean up of the oil and touch-up with Mother's Aluminum polish, and be ready for riding again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                I used Por 15 Glisten PC clear on some polished aluminum parts and they held up decently. No corrosion after 5 years or so and running. Clear powder coat would be a good option too.
                Am I correct in thinking that clear powder coat doesn't cure crystal clear? I think I remember seeing a few things that had been coated that way, and there was a slight "milkiness" to them, and the surface wasn't perfectly smooth. What has been your experience with clear powder coating?

Comment

Even if it's not crystal clear it will still look pretty good. There are tons of aluminum parts that are painted. Automotive wheels for example.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                    Andrew... Just thought I'd share some very recent experience with highly-polished aluminum engine covers......
                    Thanks. that has me deciding to leave it as-is and when(if) I have time to dedicate to such upkeep I'll polish then.

Thanks guys.

Comment

some here like a product called wizard's power seal....
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I've been thinking about some pearl powder coat. I had a bicycle years ago that had that on the rims and stem, and I really liked it. Probably won't get around to it, because I don't want to remove the parts for too long.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I do powder coating myself, and recently refinished my '81 GS650 covers. I shoot Columbia Coatings gloss clear, never a corrosion issue long term because my preparation is extensive. I did not over polish the covers as I don't care for the "blingy" look- satin brushed finish is more subtle and under stated.
                          IMG_6211.jpg

Comment

Much more tough and durable than the factory sprayed lacquer finish.
                            IMG_6203.jpg

Comment

Dang. Those look great, Sandman. I wish I didn't live in the land of envirofreaks, where PC costs the same as my kid's first semester in college.
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X