Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

polishing aluminum - is there a OEM clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does mag/aluminum polish do any kind of decent job at protecting bare aluminum?
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      Dang. Those look great, Sandman. I wish I didn't live in the land of envirofreaks, where PC costs the same as my kid's first semester in college.
      Thank you, sir. I do lots of similar sets for other people, too bad the shipping costs back and forth between us would be prohibitive. Here's a Suzuki GT250 two stroke set (and lower fork legs) I refinished. I have fork legs I restored with final clear powder coat 8 years ago, that still look exactly the same. You do have to make sure your fuel system is leak free, as powder coat will be "clouded" or discolored by prolonged exposure to fuel.

eil: bare aluminum with polish can last a while and will keep looking good depending on storage conditions and how well you keep up with it, but tight areas you can't get to will be an issue long term.

IMG_4580.jpg
      Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2017, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
        SVSooke has a clandestine powder coat business, maybe he can help....
        sigpic
        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
        1983 GS1100e
        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
        1980 GS1260
        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman900ss View Post
          I do powder coating myself, and recently refinished my '81 GS650 covers. I shoot Columbia Coatings gloss clear, never a corrosion issue long term because my preparation is extensive. I did not over polish the covers as I don't care for the "blingy" look- satin brushed finish is more subtle and under stated.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]49949[/ATTACH]
          Wow very nice, I love the satin finish too.

Did you replace the emblems or are they original, reason I ask is I need some for my 1981 GS650 E and want to know if that is what Suzuki is still selling.
          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I like the idea of something renewable. The Wizards Power Seal is something I'd try but it isn't available in Canada. Anything else as good?

Powdercoating looks great! so do other coverings recommended in earlier threads but I'm afraid either will get chips out of it and then I'm back where I started with the original compromised coating...The forks seem to get the most punishment. (but It's all 80-130 kph highway speeds to go anywhere here)
            probably what demonstrably does work without a coating is to wash the bike thoroughly after every use (like Trevor does). I put on a barrier oil too (Fluid film) but I am not so diligent as Trevor. excuses: water hose is shut off in winter so it's hard to get a real good wash, doesn't dry quickly so no barrier reapplied etc etc.)
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 02-24-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
              SVSooke has a clandestine powder coat business, maybe he can help....
              LOL how clandestine is it if you know about itPC is the way to finish off polished stuff,wish I'd bought my set up long before I did!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                Wow very nice, I love the satin finish too.

Did you replace the emblems or are they original, reason I ask is I need some for my 1981 GS650 E and want to know if that is what Suzuki is still selling.
                I replaced the emblems, they're available at around $20 each. I also replaced the phillips fasteners, and the oil level sight glass rubber seal (powder coat cures at 385 degrees).

Comment

That is factory finish and perfect. Well done.
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

This is what my stator cover looked like before I refinished it. A little advice: you must get underneath all corrosion before the final clear powder coat, or it'll pop up eventually ruining the finish. Sometimes the aluminum is actually darkened or stained inside. Experience has taught me how to work the progressive abrasive levels- it's a judgment call on how aggressive you have to be, without causing more work for yourself. Do it incorrectly and you can also ruin the work piece.
                    IMG_6013.jpg

Comment

I'm having similar issue - recently polished engine covers starting to oxidize or collect something. If I was serious about it, I'd look at Cerakote (high temp ceramic coating). There are colors that look like polished aluminum, and I think there is a clear.

For now, the polished aluminum I have is still easier to clean up than the old, yellow clear coat.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman900ss View Post
                        This is what my stator cover looked like before I refinished it. A little advice: you must get underneath all corrosion before the final clear powder coat, or it'll pop up eventually ruining the finish. Sometimes the aluminum is actually darkened or stained inside. Experience has taught me how to work the progressive abrasive levels- it's a judgment call on how aggressive you have to be, without causing more work for yourself. Do it incorrectly and you can also ruin the work piece.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]49975[/ATTACH]
                        My 82 650GL is corroded the same way. Been rubbing on it with Scotch Brite, Turtlewax and Marvel Mystery Oil with some success, but progress has ended.

Can you run down the process, especially how to remove the staining and mistakes to avoid?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                          I removed the clearcoat, used red scotchbrite and wd-40 to get the look that a couple others here enjoy, more like brushed?. I like that look also. Protect it with ACF-50. Good aircraft quality stuff. I'll see what happens over winter, sharing the garage with my car in MN. If it gets a little corroded it will be easy to touch up
                          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I am concluding that the Root problem is that the factory anodising is getting sanded off in the "polishing".

Any fluid "protectant" I've tried gets blasted off by rain on its first ride. Rain at high speeds is pretty solid stuff... Epoxies under various names might work but I expect they will need patching as they get worn and chipped..so the effect will be the same as the original (sigh) . I fear of the nuisance of having to take it off...and so I just "keep after them".

If I thought spar varnish would stick I would go thataway. just on the forks being not hot.

But in the end, I expect it'll be zinc chromate primer and some Hi-Heat Black.

Comment

Working...
                            X