No announcement yet.

2001 katana front end on 82 GS650?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That and it rides funky with a 2.5 in the back and a 3 in the front, i went with the vx800 because it had the same definitions as the kat rear wheel. Youll need the katana brake caliper, brake stay, and caliper mount. Youll need to get creative with shiming the the caliper and caliper mount at the axle end. If you do it let me know, help any way possible, also busa1300 is working on the madura spoked wheel swap as well. If your interested in spokes.
    I build Pipers

Comment

Spokes would be kind of neat. The vx800 drops right into the GS hub? Do you have to modify the swing arm at all? Or just the caliber mounting?

Comment

I'll post pics in a sec, no cutting or modding the swingarm
        I build Pipers

Comment

Cool man. Stoked to see it.

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
          I'll post pics in a sec, no cutting or modding the swingarm

Comment

Hey, i responded to your pm.. dont know if it sent because it was a graphic novel and a half haha. Anyways ill upload some pics to photobucket and get they rear wheel swap thing post done haha
            I build Pipers

Comment

results on the front end swap and rear shocks ?

How's your swap going?? I'm about ready to part a '97 kat600 and grab the front end and wheels for my '79 gs1000e. sooner before later if my GS1000e front end ****es out the fork oil I put in the other day.. Anyway, I looked into rake and trail and stock GS is about 28 deg with 4.4" trail and the Katana is 25 deg with 3.9" trail. These numbers from on line specs but I gross measured the katana and looked like head angle 25 deg and fork angle of 28 deg due to a rake built into the trees. I measured 28 deg on the GS and seemed there was an offset but no rake built into the trees. I measured 3 3/8" trail on the GS which is way off the 4.4" and far from a reasonable number for steering geometry.

Anyway, in order to preserve some of the GS trail and not be sitting all on top of my handlebars with the kat forks and wheels on the GS, I'm thinking I need to drop the rear end. The shock I have on the GS is 12.5" long. Does that sound stock? and then either of you guys buy shorter shocks for the rear? (or cut shocks and get soft short springs?).. Which ones? and how was the ride with stock shocks and the shorter shocks.. If 12.5" shock is GS oem, I'm thinking it should be an 11" shock dropping the front wheel from 19" to 17". maybe even a 10.5" shock. I met a guy recently and he said after swapping a front end, he arrived at his rear ride height by ratchet strapping the rear down until he got the frame parallel to the ground.

Originally posted by ajkammerer93 View Post
              Cool man. Stoked to see it.
              1979 gs1000e (everyday) 1977 gs750 for sale
              1983 yam xj550 maxim streetbob sold
              1995 gsx750F everyday fighterjet 1990 gsx1100F for sale
              2000kaw zx600
              2003 BMW K1200GT sport tour
              2000Buel Cyclone M2 motorwork
              1984 Yam venture xvz1200 -long ride/cold ride ride gf ride..
              1978 Honda cb750F3 supersport top end (still)
              1976 Harley FL 3/8" S&S stroker - motor out way too long
              1980 Harley fxs80 - wacked good on this one

Comment

Originally posted by garyS-NJ View Post
                If 12.5" shock is GS oem, I'm thinking it should be an 11" shock dropping the front wheel from 19" to 17". maybe even a 10.5" shock.
                I would do the swap and then ride it before dropping the back end and losing a bunch of ground clearance you can't afford to give away.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                X