Master Cylinders - To lube or not to lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Cylinders - To lube or not to lube

As I finish up my caliper overhaul and am still waiting on the new brake lines, I have turned my attention to rebuilding the masters....am I missing a rebuild guide on GSR or Mr. Basscliff's site?!?

Any-hoo, the question today is as I look towards re-assembly, should I be lubing anything or does it go back together dry?

Thanks!
    -Rich

1982 GS850GL - WE DID IT! Introduction

Use brake fluid as a lube, but be aware it will strip paint, and you don't want too much on your fingers either.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
      Use brake fluid as a lube, but be aware it will strip paint, and you don't want too much on your fingers either.
      Roger that! Thanks!!
      -Rich

Comment

Not sure which bike you're working on but I have a thread in this section of the forum about finding the right rebuild kit for the 77 GS750. Lotsa pics in there to show how the MCs go back together.
        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
          Not sure which bike you're working on but I have a thread in this section of the forum about finding the right rebuild kit for the 77 GS750. Lotsa pics in there to show how the MCs go back together.
          Awesome, I'll check it out!
          -Rich

Comment

Dow Corning 4 silicon grease, known as DC4, works wonders for assembly lube and will not attack the paint. It will actually prevent corrosion also.
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
              Dow Corning 4 silicon grease, known as DC4, works wonders for assembly lube and will not attack the paint. It will actually prevent corrosion also.
              And silicone grease does NOT belong in brake systems.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Research the DC4 before you judge. It does not oxidize or is not attacked by the dot 3 brake fluid.

All the the brakes I have rebuilt for the last 20 plus years must not work, must be magic stopping me
                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                X