X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Uh ... http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/...html&notrack=1

I see K1300Rs around here, so ...
    I know a guy here that just got transferred to the usa and tried like heck to get his k1300r in the country with him...no go. BMW would not help and customs would not allow it either. And believe me, this guy tried everything...he was heart broke that there was NO way of bringing it with him.
    To the OP...I have been trying to respond by my internet keeps shutting down. I will answer all your questions today. Cheers
    No signature

Comment

Damn I see one with bags acs abs and a cup holder.........
      Solo seat cover
      and one other nice thing that slips my mi wait the alarm.
      Not sure what these cost.
      Owner is getting out of biking and hes a friend of a friend so Im pretty safe I think.
      Well at least I know where one lives.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

They exist here.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Sweet dear Lord in heaven
          The hammer of the gods!
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            I know a guy here that just got transferred to the usa and tried like heck to get his k1300r in the country with him...no go. BMW would not help and customs would not allow it either. And believe me, this guy tried everything...he was heart broke that there was NO way of bringing it with him.
            To the OP...I have been trying to respond by my internet keeps shutting down. I will answer all your questions today. Cheers
            Is there any difference other than cosmetics with the "S"? 5 year 30k examples seem affordable, roughly the same as a Concours 14
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

They exist here.
              The K1200R was sold in the USA, and they look pretty much the same as the later 1300 models.
              2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
              2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

so got quaote for insurance of 2900 bucks
                then called td meloche
                943 full coverage
                I have to get this..........a delayed mid life crisis.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                  The K1200R was sold in the USA, and they look pretty much the same as the later 1300 models.
                  Ah, that'd be it then. I looked at the specs. Not a huge amount of difference, performance-wise. A few tweaks and the 1200 should be as quick and nearly as fast.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Ah, that'd be it then. I looked at the specs. Not a huge amount of difference, performance-wise. A few tweaks and the 1200 should be as quick and nearly as fast.
                    On the BMW forum I'm on there are a few guys that had both....from all accounts the 1300 is better in many ways....

In 2009 the bike was changed significantly for the first time, featuring a host of new components including, most significantly, a larger 1300cc engine (actually just 36cc bigger) producing another 10 BHP and 9lb-ft of torque. Both bore and stroke were increased in size to achieve this, and together with revised cam profiles and timing, gave the motor a broader spread of power.

Maximum BHP was made at 1000 RPM lower in the rev range, and the 1200’s irritating mid-range harshness was smoothed out. Other minor modifications, including chassis geometry to speed up the steering, the second generation of electronically adjustable suspension (though only available as an option), and more sharply styled components such as the clocks and exhaust help to distinguish it from the first 1200. Very good though the BMW K1300R is, however, just like its forerunner it never sold well in the UK.
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      On the BMW forum I'm on there are a few guys that had both....from all accounts the 1300 is better in many ways....

In 2009 the bike was changed significantly for the first time, featuring a host of new components including, most significantly, a larger 1300cc engine (actually just 36cc bigger) producing another 10 BHP and 9lb-ft of torque. Both bore and stroke were increased in size to achieve this, and together with revised cam profiles and timing, gave the motor a broader spread of power.

Maximum BHP was made at 1000 RPM lower in the rev range, and the 1200’s irritating mid-range harshness was smoothed out. Other minor modifications, including chassis geometry to speed up the steering, the second generation of electronically adjustable suspension (though only available as an option), and more sharply styled components such as the clocks and exhaust help to distinguish it from the first 1200. Very good though the BMW K1300R is, however, just like its forerunner it never sold well in the UK.
                      Just more yummy...

I'm sure its a sign of dementia but I keep going back to the K1600 bikes. Way heavier and large fairing, but smooth fast and very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                        Well is it worth the money? Does it destroy its tires and components?
                        How much of a hit is the insurance? They are quite cheap for older models so whats the deal are their lurking faults or is it like Ducatis in that the maint is crazy high cost.

I have the BMW cd a god awful databse syle manual.
                        What about the weight is it low co of g? cause its 520 plus pound wet. Im currently on a 441.65 wet bike.

Whats the servicing cost at dealer? Im loolking at a 2009 with 30 thousand kms or so. ANd yeah its coming up on its servicing. The manual shows valve setting as speperate charge from check so how long do the valve s wear in real life.
                        First off Cipher, I apologize for not replying sooner. I have been very busy at work opening a second recovery house in Victoria bringing another ten beds to the 13 I already had...man I can't understand why I added more stress to my life...lol

Is it worth the money?
                        I have never said to myself "I wish I didn't buy this bike"...not even close. I have a part time job at a recovery house that I work at every Monday night 3-11...have for last 6 years...I have a separate bank account for that job and out of it comes my BMW payment (yes, I financed it at 1.9%) maintenance, all the insurance for all 5 of my bikes and any parts needed. This all keeps my wife happy as my bike addiction does not effect my regular pay cheque.
                        Insurance is crazy as you have found out..I pay around $1600 a year 5 million liability, touring package and all the bells and whistles.

Maintenance costs...
                        Oil changes are every 10,000kms as per warranty...I have the dealer do them all though I don't have to but I like the piece of mind of them doing it in case they spot something that needs attention. They cost around $300..the big one is the every 30k valve adjustment...around $1200..it involves all fluids and filters changed as well. My valves were in spec and I'm sure they will be at 60 too.
                        I should point out the bike came with a factory 3 year unlimited mileage warranty...I also purchased another 3 years unlimited miles warranty for another $2,000...6 years unlimited warranty! And if I don't use the second warranty I get $1500 of it back. Plus the second warranty is fully transferable if I sell it...talk about added value to a sale!
                        I have put 55,000kms on mine in 3 years..adding up the all the service that's around $3000...most riders would take much longer to reach those kms.....do the math...it's not bad considering what you get to ride. Also my dealer lets me take a loaner bike when ever it's in for service.
                        I have had no issues with this bike and I ride it hard!
                        Tires last me around 10,000kms..I use pilot 4gt's ...around $600 for the pair installed.
                        As for centre of gravity...the bike weighs 535lbs...I rode a Concours and as everyone knows, the big complaint it gets is that it's top heavy....don't listen to Jedz..lol...the connie would be great if all I ever did was tour and ride two up.
                        I ride my bike around town all day for work..it's brilliant...yes it's a 1300cc 173hp bike but it's incredibly civilized around town because of that low centre of gravity...just look at that inline 4 engine..very low to the ground. I am never tired riding this bike around town.
                        I have done a few 1000+km days....I have toured with it, I have hit 255kmph loaded with saddle bags, tail bag and tank bag...toured two up with my wife...rode like a hooligan. This bike truly does it all...and does it all well.
                        As for comfort...I added a Laminar Lip and heli bars...I recommend that. I also had a custom seat made and I just bought a lightly used Corbin.
                        The quick shifter is intoxicating! I also added a carbon fibre Remus slip on.
                        I doubt I will ever sell this bike. They don't make it anymore and something like 6 of my Carbon fibre Se made it to north America....I think it will be very collectable some day.
                        It's a BMW...it comes with a price tag. If you wanna be like everyone else...buy a connie or FJ.
                        Join this forum...great advice.

Last year going through John Day...

Quick shifter...

Fully loaded with my wife on a Anniversary trip last year up Island...hit 200kmph with her on the back..lol...such a trouper@

My boy...

Last edited by trevor; 03-01-2017, 03:50 AM.
                        No signature

Comment

HEY! I see that!
                          Firstly the quick shift is ****er! Standard equipment? I need one...

LOL Honestly if the K1300 was an option here and I did more in city commuting with it I would definitely keep it in my sights but often I find my self blasting big miles after work in 35-50' weather(2-10' C). All back road highway, all perfect on a sport touring rig with a big a$$ fairing. I do about the same mileage as Trev a year but I don't ride much for 3 months (winter), lots of long 3K mile trips so the touring features go along way. The added weight is definite advantage on interstate and high speed conditions.

I know comparing a K1300 to a ZG1400 is comparing oranges to tangerines. The bike to compare the K1300 is the ZX-14 or 14R.

have never said to myself "I wish I didn't buy this bike"
                          Hence why I wanted to at least interject my 2 cents about the ZG. As many can attest I went through this game of playing musical bikes for many year, maybe I'm finally growing up (just turned 33) or maybe I just found what I LOVE but the ZG1400 is by far the best motorcycle I've ever owned... Out of all 25 something bikes I've been through... Mine isn't stock but the total cost still yielded a very good value for money.

With it being all day smooth, versatile, fast, huge mile eater and light on it's toes in the twisties the bike is by far phenomenal. (IMHO)
                          I do have videos too but look for them at your own discretion if wanted...

Best of luck with you purchase! Be sure to post pics if you do end up on a K!
                          Last edited by Jedz123; 03-01-2017, 07:48 AM.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                          Originally posted by Hayabuser
                          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Justin, you are still playing musical bikes. You just write orchestral stuff now.

As for the 1300 being hand-down better than the 1200, perhaps, but I do think a tuner could easily make the 1200 as quick as the 1300, and with the brakes and suspension perfectly set up, it would be just as satisfying. Since we only got the 12, I say get one and make it better!
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Justin, you are still playing musical bikes. You just write orchestral stuff now.
                              HA!
                              Well I'm glad I graduated out of the kazoo stage.
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                              Originally posted by Hayabuser
                              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

As for the 1300 being hand-down better than the 1200, perhaps, but I do think a tuner could easily make the 1200 as quick as the 1300, and with the brakes and suspension perfectly set up, it would be just as satisfying. Since we only got the 12, I say get one and make it better!
                                The 12 may not be THE answer, but it does look like an answer.

Not the best seating position, but that can modified.

Living in SoCal for a bit, it became very clear that the motorcycle was about the only way to substantially reduce commute/travel times.

With a few mods the 12 would be a very good tool to be able to get around town.

Comment

Working...
                                X