keepig up with the jones'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keepig up with the jones'

First of all, I have a stock 1980 gs750e, 16 valve bike. Runs good.

Well, a while back I was running my bike through the mid USA Ozarks, and as I was going along at about 70 mph a group of bikes passed me like I was standing still. Modern sport touring type with California plates! Well, as the last one passed me I figured what the hell, and took off to catch em. The Ozarks are a motorcyclist dream if you like curves and such. These guys were game on and it was 80-100 mph for the next 20-30 miles. I held with them keeping on the last riders behind, and at one point he looked over his shoulder and gave me a thumbs up!! I don't think he thought I could keep up. I could have probably passed him but I was defiantly at my and the bike's limit through those corners. Given both my and the bikes age.

We came to a small town and they all pulled into a gas station. The rider who's backside I had been following motioned me to pull in. I honked my horn and went on by.

The Suzuki held it's own.

Gads, why didn't you pull in?

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Well, I wanted to get where I was going.

Comment

Seems that with the recent velocity increase, you should have had a few minutes to spare.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

True, so true.

Comment

Nice....possibly next time stop and see if those were new bikes that your old cycle kept up with....I used to love giving the new cycles fits with my old H-2...only in the straights though!

Comment

We have the 100mph clubs out of El Paso that ride through here like that, I give those aholes a wide berth.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                We have the 100mph clubs out of El Paso that ride through here like that, I give those aholes a wide berth.
                Our town was hit by a large group of folks who sped thru town last summer....crossed center lines, wheelies, broke speed limits, blew lights, carved too closely around cars and even wound up with a huge altercation with a p/u truck driver....gave cycles a bad name that day!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                  Our town was hit by a large group of folks who sped thru town last summer....crossed center lines, wheelies, broke speed limits, blew lights, carved too closely around cars and even wound up with a huge altercation with a p/u truck driver....gave cycles a bad name that day!
                  We asked the NM state cops and Sheriff's dept how come they won't stop these guys, said it was too dangerous. These aholes will run and well, a lot of them will crash and try to sue. When we see them in our mirrors we just hold our lines and let them pass. Two lanes roads here are not wide enough for evasive actions.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Well, I see your point, but to be honest, this was a hand full of guys running across the US. (or so it seemed) They were as safe as I have ever seen running at those speeds, and I have to think that there was communication involved between them... The guy I was following gave me hand signals from time to time. These were seasoned sport touring dudes... Not renegades. They were pro's at going fast. They did not want to get hurt nor hurt anyone else.

They just didn't like double yellow lines.

Comment

Working...
                    X