Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the gas cap rubber seal be replaced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the gas cap rubber seal be replaced?

I did a search and found nothing, so I thought I'd ask here.
    Can the gas cap rubber seal be replaced? I see that the two inside phillips screws can be removed along with the plastic inner cap - giving me access to remove the seal and metal washer - but looking at any micro phish and seeing only the whole cap assembly, is there just a replacement seal for it?

...I probably wouldn't have worried about it so much, but I was polishing up the s/s cap cover the other day and noticed a tiny crack in the outside of the rubber seal....

Replaceable yes, can you get one though? does it matter?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

funny, I was just thinking about replacing mine...I think I'll need to make one from nitrile or viton rubber sheet if I can findsome of the right thickness...perhaps even cut up some mechanic gloves... It'd be nice to have a bike that didn't dump it's gas when dropped when they do seem to be designed to not do that.

NOT innertube rubber though. I seem to recall trying it several times and having it come apart (being butyl rubber)

Comment

The slight partial hairline crack in mine would be trivial, as small as it is...but it's one of those things that begs - "while I'm here working on it, I should look into fixing it before it becomes a real problem someday".
        My question is what have folks used to replace the original one with...it's gotta be pliable to seal well and gas resistant so it doesn't melt. For me to spend around $35 for a new retro cap isn't that bad, but a lessor cost would fix this - once I figure out what would work well in this case. Cutting one out would be easy enough once the ID and OD measurements are obtained...thickness too.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Replaceable yes, can you get one though? does it matter?
          "get one" - meaning something comparable - yes that's the question.
          "does it matter" - it just keeps the gas from possibly spilling out, when full or full enough, from bumps and the like while riding....so, yes.
          {I recently replaced all my coil wires and caps on the oem coils....this seems an easier task}

Comment

Just remember, what every product you find to replace it make sure it's fuel resistant. Even though fuel will never touch it I would think that the fumes alone over time will cause breakdown.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              Just remember, what every product you find to replace it make sure it's fuel resistant. Even though fuel will never touch it I would think that the fumes alone over time will cause breakdown.
              "Full tank splash" would do it as well as the constant vapor thing...the search for a workable source is in the works.

Comment

Just sent off an inquiry to "rubbercal.com" to see what they recommend for this and to see if I can just get a 3" x3" piece....I'll report back when an answer is had.

...edit- 1/8" thick since the oem item is coming in at .115 thick per my digi caliper

Comment

Ok...learned something today.
                  No reply from rubbercal, but I needn't worry about that any more. I actually took apart the gas cap and looked at the seal.....no one is going to be able to simply replace the gasket since it's far more then that.
                  A) it has a metal cap that provides a downward pressure assist to the seal....yes, one could transplant that, but wait...
                  B) the side profile is that of a flat to seal to the tank with, with an upward sleave to seal to the ID of the gas cap body...and...there's another lip on top of that to aid in, what I have to figure on, setting the depth for from under the cap.
                  C) this isn't just a flat seal.....looks like I'll be buying an ebay cap {$21/free ship} to borrow the seal from so I can keep to just one key for the bike{my original premise}
                  suzuki gas cap seal 001.jpg
                  ...here you can see the spring metal assist...

Comment

Here you can see the side profile of the seal
                    suzuki gas cap seal 002.jpg

An additional note- should you choose ebay, look carefully at the multi pics of any auction! There's one I saw with a ribbed sealing surface, instead of smooth. I...uh...doubt that type would aid in your riding pleasure.....CYCLES of course!{lol...family site}

Comment

Just for a reference- I'll probably be buying mine from Too fast Moto.....has the same smooth seal surface as oem and has better centered locking tabs - some of the other offerings are rather off center and the locking tabs even look like plastic!
                      Mind the s/s cover too - oem wraps all the way over the cast base and has bend in locking tabs to add in securing it on....a lot of the cheap ebay, or otherwise, offerings are short in wrap around...it might show....it might not.
                      {wish these cycles had flip up pivoted caps....oh well.....}

Comment

I need 3 gaskets. Can you let us know if this fix works? I don't want to get a new paint job and then use a old gasket.
                        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Will do...part is on its way

Comment

Parts came in today....so here we go...
                            new gas cap seal and pillion spacers 003.jpg
                            Old cap on the left - new one on the right. Supplied keys won't go in the old cap.....must be a different blank type.
                            -Note the oem has a large venting system, which will need to be removed to access the seal. Slightly different casting on the underside fo the cap....but really minor.

Comment

new gas cap seal and pillion spacers 004.jpg
                              Seals off.....aside from a slight top shoulder, very slight, they are the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X