X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb leaking at t-piece | GS1000 '78

Hi Community,

[GS1000, '78, no pods, original exhaust]

After some major reworks, I reinstalled the carbs, put on the fueltank, turn the petcock to PRI and fuel starts leaking out of the little T-Piece where the fuel-hose connects to the carbs.
    I notice the t-piece rotates with very little resistance and is able to move side-to-side by about 1,5mm.

It was very hard work getting the carbs in and out!

What could have happened here? Are there gaskets or o-rings preventing fuel to leak from the t-piece that could've gone damaged?

thanks for any insights.

spoon.

The o rings on those tee pieces can shrink when the carbs are stripped and they're left in the air. The good news is that they usually swell up quickly when exposed to petrol again. Loads leak like yours on first assembly but the following day are fine. Wait and see what happens before pulling your carbs again.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

oh wow, that would be good news... just: that wasn't some light dripping, it was leaking! Within a minute or two, the area above the transmission was pretty much filled up with fuel...

Comment

Is the tee made of metal or some type of plastic? The metal ones have rubber O-rings which can be replaced. The non-metallic ones can be improved with some gas type Teflon tape.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Only way to improve the rubber coated style is to throw them in the nearest trash can. Get the metal ones that take the orings and replace the tee and the crossover tubes as well. Teflon tape is a band aid on a shotgun would remedy.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

what chuck said - AND even if they do swell slightly they'll be brittle and prone to failure

EVERY fuel rail I've checked has been badly , of not dangerously, compromised
            78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
            82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
            83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
            2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
            Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              The o rings on those tee pieces can shrink when the carbs are stripped and they're left in the air. The good news is that they usually swell up quickly when exposed to petrol again. Loads leak like yours on first assembly but the following day are fine. Wait and see what happens before pulling your carbs again.
              When I put my 79 GS1000 back on the road around 2003 the Ts leaked pretty bad but once they sat for a bit they were Ok. 14 years later they have never leaked again. Wait a couple of days and see what happens. You might get lucky or you might be buying some nice replacements. Trick is to keep them wet.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Not to hijack but I have the same issue on my GS450. Not a big leak but any is bad. Can i get he metal for a 450 or is it only the stock rubber? Haven't seen any metal for the 450, when I searched parts places online it seems to be the stock rubber everywhere.

Thanks. I haven't tested again after sitting a day or so but I'd like to be safe and order another, I would think that part won't break the bank.

Comment

I'm not sure if any of these would fit the GS450 it would but Z1 carries several different Tees:

This is the one for the GS1000:

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Haven't found any metal that say compatible with the GS450. Looks like it's the OEM rubber unless anyone else knows a site that has metal ones.

Comment

I would contact Sirius about the metal tees.
                      Did not see the specific ones you are asking about but not everything they carry is listed.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

after a couple of days, no more leaking! Seems like the o-rings just needed to set again! Thanks a bunch for the feedback - so happy I didn't have to get the carbs out again!

Comment

Working...
                        X