Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible LED headlight insert for my 5 x 7 headlight....thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible LED headlight insert for my 5 x 7 headlight....thoughts?

I've been toying with the idea of installing an 5000k LED H-4 bulb in my 5x7 headlight - I run a Vetter windstar fairing that comes with a 5x7 headlight and switched out the original sealed beam 5x7 to an H-4 5x7 housing for easier lighting options. Stock headlight housing for my bike is a 7" round...but that's sans fairing. I like the fairing for the small but added side storage compartments and wind protection.
    The H-4 bulb in question is the OPT7 LED bulb, but my worries are that while it will fit, will it work well in my housing?
    Glare for other drivers and odd light patterns on the road are my major concerns since this housing wasn't designed for LED bulb inserts.
    Anyone try this with their 5x7 housing....likes....dislikes.....?

The ADVMonster Cree Led h4 replacement may work. I don't have a rectangular bulb or a Windjammer to look at. I found a video of a replacement on a Yamaha with a rectangular housing if there is room for the power module it should work. DO NOT USE LED BULBS unless you have replaced the R/R with a Series Regulator. The loss of load from a LED that typically draws about 25 watts instead of about 55 watts can fool the old Shunt type R/R into overcharging the system. That having been said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qp1bqgKLc
    Last edited by OldVet66; 02-26-2017, 06:06 PM.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Truck-Lite seems to be a popular choice for round 7” LED headlights.
      They also have a 5”x7” LED headlight that might be worth considering.
      There also might be other choices for less $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        The ADVMonster Cree Led h4 replacement may work. I don't have a rectangular bulb or a Windjammer to look at. I found a video of a replacement on a Yamaha with a rectangular housing if there is room for the power module it should work. DO NOT USE LED BULBS unless you have replaced the R/R with a Series Regulator. The loss of load from a LED that typically draws about 25 watts instead of about 55 watts can fool the old Shunt type R/R into overcharging the system. That having been said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qp1bqgKLc
        My headlight was out of an '83 yamaha venture 1200.....or so I was told.
        I was heavily considering the series stator too....this would just cement that thought. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
          Truck-Lite seems to be a popular choice for round 7” LED headlights.
          They also have a 5”x7” LED headlight that might be worth considering.
          There also might be other choices for less $$$.
          The thought of the cost for the TL 5x7 LED headlight was offset by the far more needed hagon or ikon rear shocks{haven't decided which yet - but one of those two shock choices is happening}

Comment

I tried one of the ADV Monster bulbs in my 5x7 Hella light in my Pacifico AERO fairing. I would have been better off with a coal miner's carbide lamp.

It was bright, but there was NO pattern to it on the road. I only went around the block, but made sure it was an actual city block, not my usual "country mile" block that I use for test rides.

I tried that bulb in a 7" round housing on my son's 1000G. A bit better, but still lousy.

Based on that, I gladly spent the money on a Truck-Lite 5x7 light housing. Already had upgraded shocks on the bike, so made sure I had money for the light.

Let me just add: this is the second-best headlight setup I have seen. First would be my Goldwing, but it has two H4 bulbs spitting out photons. The Truck-Lite is just about as good on the pattern, but has a whiter light that does VERY well.
            Skip a few sessions at Starbucks, you can get your light in no time at all.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That surprises me Steve because mine has excellent light and a good pattern. I don't remember the revision number of my light but it still had the fins instead of the flat braided heat sinks. I seem to remember you may have opted for the less expensive, possibly the original light. I can assure you that mine is an excellent light with the Candlepower reflector I have. I'm tempted to get the one in the video because of the improvements over my generation light.
              Last edited by OldVet66; 02-27-2017, 11:45 AM.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I did not have a Candlepower reflector for comparison, but I have used some of their products in the past with a standard H4 bulb and had good results.

The biggest problem with an LED conversion or an HID conversion to a reflector that is designed for an incandescent bulb is that the light-generating device is not the same size or in the same EXACT location as the incandescent bulb. That will change the patter projected on the road. Some reflector/lens combinations might still show an acceptable pattern others will not. All I can say is that with the two samples that I tried, the results were rather miserable.

Bwringer has one of thosee ADV kits on his KLR, which has a GS850L headlight on it. Based on his good results, I decided to try an ADV, but my results were not nearly as good as his. Either that, or he is just not as picky, but I have met Brian, and don't believe that part to be true. If it didn't work (well), he would not use it and would let you know why.

As much as I like to save money, there are just those times when you need to do it the right way. For now, I will stick with a light assembly that was designed with the LED source in mind from the beginning, not something that was adapted to it. I am happy with the results and recovered a long time ago from the shock of the purchase price.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Just wanted to get it out there that the bulbs after the first generation with a quality reflector can be very good. I think the improvement in the Gen 3 has me intrigued enough to try it. If I do, I'll try to post pictures. The old unit just squeaks into the housing with the heat sink fins.

Comment

I'll be going out to the shop in a bit, I'll get some pictures of the bulb and of the "pattern" it puts out.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Well, I did go out and got some pictures, then Photobucket was acting up and I could not post them.

PB is working now, so will try before it tanks again.

Here is the LED 'bulb' in question:

I am actually surprised that it throws out at much light as it does, because the LED elements are only on one side.

I also shot some pattern comparison pictures, will post them in a bit. Have to go to work now.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve that light looks like it must be the first light they produced and the LED's even look different from mine. The power wire on mine plugs into the side of the heat sink base. From your results I am glad that I got the model that I did. When Jim did his posts on LED lights and went with a different brand I wasn't swayed to try something else because the combination (light/reflector) I have was very good, however, after digging into this again I think I will pull the trigger on the new mesh revision 3. This is the model I got: http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-led-headlight/

Comment

OK, let's see if I can get these in order.

ADV low beam, shining about 10 feet onto inside of door.

ADV high beam, same door.

ADV low beam, shining out into the yard.

ADV high beam, same yard. Bushes on left are about 75 feet away.
                          Note the general lack of any pattern, there is just a 'blob' of light out there.

From a previous photo session, here is the Truck-Lite Phase 7 in the same location. The vehicle is 90' away.
                          Low beam.

High beam.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

More pictures from the "previous session".

Hella rectangular light with standard H4 bulb, low beam. B
                            uilding is about 100' from bike. Adjustment is just a little high.
                            The pattern on this one is what I call a "bowtie" because of the dip in the center. That keeps the light out of the mirrors of the car directly ahead of you, but also fails to put light on the road directly in front of you. Nice, even illumination in the foreground.

Hella/H4 high beam. Note that the foreground has gone virtually dark, but the area illuminated is straddling where the cut-off was on low beam.

Hella with ADV bulb, low beam. Note lack of cut-off on top of beam.

Hella with ADV, high beam. Area illuminated by high beam is completely above the low beam, not straddling the cut-off area. Great for hunting animals in the treetops.
                            The H4 bulb has two filaments. One is used for low beam, the other is used for high beam. The LED lights keep the low beam element on and just add a second one for high beam.

Truck-Lite Phase 7 on low beam. The bright spot is slightly right of center, putting it on the edge of the road.
                            It is also nicely-projected a bit farther down the road than the rest of the beam.

Truck-Lite Phase 7 on high beam. The bright spot is centered in the lane and REALLY lights up the road for 100 yards or so.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve The pictures of your Truck-Lite look more like the light I have. I went ahead and ordered the ADVmonster Gen 3, so I will wait until it arrives and post pictures of both lights for comparison.

Comment

Working...
                              X