Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motorized bikes?

Hiya all....

Anyone put together a motorized bicycle? I got a deal on a cheapy chinese motor kit, going to bolt it on to an old trek mtb.....maybe add a banana seat so I can go 2-up, lulz.... Will add pics/info as available!

Greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

I saw one at a warehouse I work at. It looked cool.
    I'll be following your "build"
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

No but I had a wind powered bike. We rigged a sail on it with a bed sheet. Don't do that, it ended badly.

Have fun!
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Like a lot of folks, probably, I built numerous small engine-powered bicycles as a kid. Usually, tiller (or old upright mower) engines -- it takes a horizontal shaft. Very police-unfriendly, but a lot of fun. A little primitive, maybe, but we were on a budget.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I thought Pete was working on an old Cuciolo (spelling?) a few years back but I don't know how far he got with it. Hopefully he'll log in again soon and see this thread

Yea, here it is and I was close on the spelling - should have been Cucciolo

I wonder how far he really got with it.
          Last edited by cowboyup3371; 02-27-2017, 08:14 PM.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Lately I've become fascinated with motorized bikes of all shapes and formats. I think hub bikes are the future. So simple.
            Yes, the electric motor is in the hub.

Paul Jones
            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

The motor in hub is definitely interesting...... and stealthy, if thats needed.
              Some HVAC equipment I work on has moved to motor / blower units with an integral hub mounted motor.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I think electric is for sure the way of the future, in this application at least, and probably across the board. Love that pic Robert, BADASS, as they say.....
                I followed that cucciolo thread, very cool. I have been wanting a tiny displacement scoot for a while now, beer grabber kinda thing. These little chinese jobs have mixed reviews, but it seems most of the negative stuff is people not knowing what they are doing/having too high of expectations for what it is.
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

The Cucciolo got sold to fund my dream bike project... the Kat.

It's gone to a fella who's wanted one for years so it's much better off there as he will actually get it done, I just couldn't get motivated to build something that I'd never really get to ride.

With regards to motorised bicycles... over here if it has a petrol motor, it has to be registered and meet all the legal requirements for road use (no way would it do that) or if it's electric, it has to be below a certain power output to be able to use it legally.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I've Been interested in/ studied some (various) motorized bicycles for a long time.
                    Including the kit mentioned in OP. Unfortunately in state of VA, growing up the definition of "moped" was "A bicycle with a helper motor" ...Growing up , the ONLY "mopeds" actually legal were the ones that could pedal like a bicycle. Then folks started riding "mopeds" without pedals despite legality.
                    Lately the definition of "moped" changed to 50cc or less , WITH a VIN, and since 2014 (or 2013) it's necessary to obtain "Moped" license plate as well. Since it's still new, it's still easy to file a form and obtain a "moped title" (for lost/ misplaced/ non-present).
                    Interesting thing, now scooters are "mopeds" (weren;t before) and bicycles with a helper motor is considered a new term... to obtain a title for one requires $1000 + application and few months wait for inspection as a "specially constructed vehicle" then a VIN is given and title...Basically since the Gov't can change definition of words, they can do anything they want. For example "No" could mean "affirmative" and "Yes" could become defined "Negative" etc. and ANYTHING would hold up in a court of law based on the "Moped example" In VA anyway....(I'm moving to NC and it's one of most "laid back" states for moped scooty things so in future hopefully...)

anyway, been seeing a new type electric motor for bikes like this:

I think these are adjustable so whatever pedal pressure is combined/ adjustable(?) It's like an electric helper. There are atleast a few versions from China available currently too.

Might have to dig up my old browser favorites but someplace I had a link on a bicycle with a jackshaft, 49/50cc bike motor and used the original seven gears.
                    The maker wrote that it acheived an incredible around 55 MPH top speed because of the efficiency of the gears! (There actually is a law in NC banning multiple gears/gearboxes though I noticed someplace).
                    Found a vid similar (to link I've been looking for):

Looks very similar to the jack-shaft version, same model bicycle. Interesting gear use.

Comment

I'm fascinated by electric hub motor bikes but have some questions someone with some knowledge might be able to answer.

Is it direct drive or is there a transmission? Gears?

What kind of electronics do you need?

Are friction brakes enough?

Can you modify motor?

Does frame and wheels have to be a certain size?

Can you just lace the hub motor to any wheel?
                      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I'll be keeping an eye on this too. I was recently looking into this sort of thing myself.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Well, I have the motor, and, as expected, it is truly a work of art.......pretty rough overall, a few from-the-factory stripped or mis-tapped/threaded screws/bolts, generally cheap overall feel. Not unexpected, I paid less than a hundo brand new, and any search shows that quality is mixed on these little guys. No big deal.

I am working on the bike this will mount to, assembling a complete bike from parts laying around the shop at work. The frame is a trek 870 MTB, steel. Mixed components.

Will update as progress warrants. Dale, if i get it together and it actually runs (questionable....) I will bring it as a pit bike in august....

As for the electric kits, lots o' info on the nets. The cost on the kits kept me from pursuing the electric option, they start at about 200 (it seems) without batteries. I was looking for a low/no cost little project to irritate my wife with....and this will for sure fit the bill!
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Pit bike... I had the exact same purpose in mind. That and a certain grinder of a hill I haven't tried to climb since we moved a little farther from it (and I got a motorcycle). Come to think of it, an electric bike would come in handy for the track walk too.

I see a lot of talk on the Interwebs about scavenging cells from eBay laptop batteries, but welding the tabs is another challenge. I think AvE has cheap a solution for that in one of his videos, if you dare. Do you have a plan forming for a power source? I saw somebody do an electric conversion powered by about 6 cordless drill packs.
                            Last edited by Dogma; 03-06-2017, 05:07 PM.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                              I'm fascinated by electric hub motor bikes but have some questions someone with some knowledge might be able to answer.

Is it direct drive or is there a transmission? Gears?

What kind of electronics do you need?

Are friction brakes enough?

Can you modify motor?

Does frame and wheels have to be a certain size?

Can you just lace the hub motor to any wheel?
                              -They're direct drive.
                              The RPM of the motor is practical for wheel RPM, so a larger diameter wheel is like higher gear (more "top-end"), smaller diameter wheel would be like lower geared (more toque, lower top speed).

-the kits without rim mounted tend to have spoke holes, but specific length spokes are needed since the spokes mount to the motor case looks like.
                              Most I've looked at appear to be width for standard mountain bike width rims.

One advantage of the gearless hub is one can be used for each wheel.
                              The electronics vary, (Used for speed control, throttle basically) there are components that can "fry" from modifying the output. and of course higher priced controller modules that won't fry.
                              Many include a "governor" that limits the speed usually to some anemic level like 17MPH (ok for bicycle speed however), there are many mods for it.

Without a controller the motor is either "on" (full) or "off" the contact needs to be fairly stout metal since that method is "zappy"...

I'm no means up to speed on latest and particulars of electric bikes.
                              The BEST info (and some cool projects) on them I found in "Bike, Scooter and Chopper projects for the Evil Genius: Brad Graham, Kathy McGowan"
                              (!@#$ I'm on a macBook and borrowed internet, awesome computer but dunno how to use it like the Dell...yet LOL)
                              Well that book is on Amazon new from around $22 or used from about $12. I got one from local library once.
                              It has all the basics about every component basically. one project , author used the controller from a golf cart for his electric mini-bike (does burn-outs) and a long range electric bike with affordable batteries etc. ( require welding, but author used a "cheap arc-welder").
                              Highly recommend the book.

Also, think the top end brushless hub motors are "E-tech" something like that , can be modded to very high speed/power outputs I'll try check later for correct brand/linky...
                              In VA anyway, 1000 watt or less electric there's no regulations on last I checked. Never seen a cop w/ a multimeter/motor tester though(?) Not supposed to ride on bicycle trails though ...yeah dur....

Comment

Working...
                              X