No announcement yet.

motorized bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have built a few motorized bikes. 2 friction drive with rollers, 2 Golden eagle bike engine kits and a hub motor kit. The easiest is by far the friction drives. I still have 2 complete friction drives and 1 GEBE kit if anyone is interested.

Rich
    The GS toys:
    79 GS1000L 1st bike sold many moons ago...
    78 GS550
    81 GS650G The son's
    82 GS650GL parts bike
    85 GS700ES in progress
    85 gs700E parts bike
    82 GS1000GL in pieces
    80 GS1100L in progress

Comment

I built a kit from E Bay, I think I paid $160 for two. I added a "Sick Bike Parts" jackshaft kit that converted it to a 7 speed through the stock chain. The kit makes it really hard to start, because of the way its geared, and because you can't use momentum to help. I put on a pull start, but the crank arms hit it. There have been offset crank arms for sale, but out of stock now. I wish I would have installed it in the normal way, without the shift kit. The gearing is too tall anyway.

I ride my (non motorized) bike on the local beach bike paths when I visit CA. The numbers of electric bikes is huge, and growing. Probable approaching 5% on the path between Sunste Beach and the Santa Ana River in Newport Beach. Most of the riders on them pedal slowly while they speed along.
      Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Electric bikes such as made by Trek, I thought these were only for senior ladies and their duffer husbands?
        “Fly up hills. Scoff at the wind. Haul a heavy load. Take the long way home. And do it all without breaking a sweat, thanks to the smooth, exhilarating power of electric assist.”
        Sorry I still think so, but will include all lazy people in my opinion.
        What's the point of riding a bike?
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

https://www.electricbike.com/etek/ Yikes! somehow I figured out how to copy/paste with my macbook...
          Went something like right click/left click control button, move/ drag something ...
          I was wrong about E tek being hub less/brushless, quite the opposite , IS the "performance" "way to go" though, noticed.

Just checked out "sick bike parts" mentioned by 850 Combat (THANKS!) , Maybe the same guy who made the original project looks like. Looks like the way to go for maximum performance for the chinese bicycle kits.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          Electric bikes such as made by Trek, I thought these were only for senior ladies and their duffer husbands?
          “Fly up hills. Scoff at the wind. Haul a heavy load. Take the long way home. And do it all without breaking a sweat, thanks to the smooth, exhilarating power of electric assist.”
          Sorry I still think so, but will include all lazy people in my opinion.
          What's the point of riding a bike?
          I see your point, sort of like airguns are still just red rider bb guns, even these days regardless of upgrades or cost.
          It's just something about maximum efficiency and pushing the envelope, finding a loophole (course in a day or so with the stroke of a pen some politico law doggies can zap those instantly with great ease...)

It's about transportation with maximum efficiency, least hassle and overcomplicating...the bicycle is the MOST efficient form of transportation (I've read someplace), as well as great exercise, But it's sort of about pushing it to longer range (?maybe) ...the thought of minimal fuel,plugging into solar or similar for minimal cost with minimal to no legal hassle taxation for useful transportation , maybe that's the appeal , for myself anyway.
          The minimal weight of the vehicle for ease of transport too, dunno. Maybe it's about overcoming restrictions of childhood fantasies which are no longer a limitation. Hmmm...I accomplish tasks sometimes that would've blown my teenage mind , and it becomes everyday ordinary, " meh" LOL...

EDIT: ( I'm headed off right now to drive over hour to VA , to DMV to get tags for my "New" mercedes, and wait couple hours in the stinky place. Then I'll later take it for a "rejection" sticker on way back in couple days, to NC where it needs no inspection sticker, cause it's an '82. BUT if i switch DL to NC I'll have to switch insurance and wifey's will go up. then I'd have to switch all the plates and pay some more $$$$$ for nothing. so for now it's the best route. Then I'll drive it back to VA for a passing sticker, to drive back again...and so on)
          Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X