New GS Owner!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS Owner!!!

So i would like to start off i got this bike for free!!! It had some damage to the left side engine cover. Long story short the chain broke and destroyed the cover the clutch push rod and all the studs to bold it all back together. But i did manage to get some welding done drilled everything out and managed to get it working again!! But my reason for this post is what else i should do to it before i put it back on the road. Its a 1979 GS750E on the tag! Any advice would be super helpful!! IMG_0072.jpg

Hey Schmidty.
    I just copied your pic and pasted into this reply so we can see the bike.

Lots to look over but if the engine runs good you're already ahead of the game for a free bike.

Do you have any history on maintenance for the bike? Valve clearance, fluids etc?
    How old are the tires? Old rubber is terrible for traction and handling, not to mention dangerous.
    Why does it have a lawn mower fuel shutoff valve? Is the petcock stuck?
    Those rubber brake lines may be long over due for replacement.

If you haven't seen basscliff's site, you'll find manuals, diagrams and tutorials there.
    I love this thread and highly recommend reading through it!
    Here's a good place to look for parts.
    Brake lines can be found here.

That will hopefully help get things stirred up for you.

Welcome to the GSR!
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Yes it runs very well!!! I don't have history on the bike it was flipped about 4 times before i ended up with it. The tires are a must!! And yes that is a lawn mower fuel shut off someone removed the diaphragm for the vacuum out of the petcock.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidty View Post
        So i would like to start off i got this bike for free!!! It had some damage to the left side engine cover. Long story short the chain broke and destroyed the cover the clutch push rod and all the studs to bold it all back together. But i did manage to get some welding done drilled everything out and managed to get it working again!! But my reason for this post is what else i should do to it before i put it back on the road. Its a 1979 GS750E on the tag! Any advice would be super helpful!! [ATTACH=CONFIG]49994[/ATTACH]
        I am not that familiar with 750s nor 78-79 models.

But do recognize the carbs and solid rotors and kickstart and other things as being 78-79.

But that looks more like an L to me, and not like an E.

Here is what I would expect for a 79 750E.
        Note the tank and seat and bars and rear fender and rear tail light in particular

GS 750 E 1979
        Overall Length: 2 225 mm (87.6 in)
        Overall Width: 870 mm. (34.3 in.)
        Overall Height: 1 170mm (46.1 in)
        Wheelbase: 1 490 mm (58.7 in)
        Grdound Clearance: 150 mm (5.9 in)
        Dry Weight: 223 kg (492 lbs)
        Engine type: Air-cooled 748 cc inline-4, DOHC, 8 valves. 72 hp/ 8,500 rpm, 60 Nm/ 7,000 rpm.

Click on the image for larger format.
        Here's more Suzuki GS750E info.

Here is what I would expect for a 79 1000L
        Last edited by Redman; 03-02-2017, 01:29 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by schmidty View Post
          And yes that is a lawn mower fuel shut off someone removed the diaphragm for the vacuum out of the petcock.
          If the diaphragm is out, I would seriously look into replacing the petcock. Without the diaphragm, there is nothing to keep the fuel from going straight into the vacuum line to #3 carb.

I agree with Redman, that looks much more like a 750L, not a 750E, regardless of what the tag says. By the way, what "tag" says that?

There is a sizeable list of what should be done to get a bike on the road safely, including valve adjustment, carb cleaning, electrical checks, brake systems check/rebuild, tires and lights. Good thing you got it for free, that leaves you more money to get everything up to par for the upcoming season.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If the chain broke causing damage it was likely binding in a few areas.
            Would look to checking sprockets as they are likely grooved out and in need of replacement.
            Bad chain will cause wear in sprockets.
            Bad sprockets will stretch your chain.
            Would follow the other advice posted here also.

Comment

Hey guys sorry for the delay back! Still learning the way of forum posts and what not. Did get a fresh petcock, O-Rings, and Bolts for the intake boots. I want to post this pic of the Vin tag as well because I am slightly confused about it being an L versus an E. Something Else I will add is the the exhaust says it made for a 750L as well lol. Just trying to get some background on this bike just seems kinda odd to me! IMG_0080.jpg

Comment

Hum...... THe letters stamped there in the frame neck definatly say 750E .
                But that bike does not at all look like an E.

Look for some furter info there on that foil tag (can see edge of it in your picture).

Also, maybe post a full profile picture of the bike, that would show the front end better.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Here is another pic i blocked some of the Vin and i will try to get a full pic of the foil tag! IMG_0079.jpg

Comment

Welcome!

Moar pics please! That's definitely an "L" seat on your "E". I have one on my "T" so it's a universal seat (I guess). That's also a bigger tank...It looks fatter than the normal size. And those bars are from the ol' LaVerne too.

Ed
                    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-06-2017, 01:39 PM.
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                    X