Installing a battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a battery

I have recently obtained a GS850GL. When I got the bike there was no battery in it. I am now to the point where I need to install the battery and cannot figure out which wires go to which posts. I have 4 connections and there is really only one that is in question, with a black and white wire, though I may be wrong on the other one's as well. Someone please help! I'm ready to try and fire this thing up to see what else needs to be done. Thanks

ALL black and white wires are ground wires. To avoid stacking them all up on the battery negative post, many will group them all together, possibly to a bolt on the chassis, then run one wire that is sufficiently large, to the battery. Actually, you will need two wires to the negative terminal. One very large one goes to the back of the engine cases to ground the starter, the other one can be smaller, but needs to go to your single point ground.

You might have one or two wires that connect to the positive terminal. All bikes will have a large wire that goes to the starter solenoid. Some bikes will have a smaller wire that taps off the solenoid connection and goes to the fusebox. Other bikes have a second wire that comes from the battery to the fusebox, instead of coming off the solenoid.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Repair manuals and tons of info on your bike can be found here.
      Welcome to the site.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
      X