Custom clutch/throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom clutch/throttle cable

Does anyone have any knowledge of customizing the length of clutch/throttle cables? I need to shorten my clutch cable. Does anyone have a good video or write up? I watched some on YouTube, but I wanted to see what you all had to offer.

For what bike?
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

There are various model GS's that used low bars thus the cables are shorter.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You can get these from most auto shops:

And then you can cut your cable to whatever length you want.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

OK, you joined GSR, so we are going to have to assume that you have a motorcycle, presumably even a GS, but if you would like some real help, please give us a hint or two.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Call up Motion Pro, tell them what you need and they will build it and usually have it back in a couple weeks for not much more than a stock cable. Ive have a few throttle cables made over the years by them and they have always did a great job.
            The other option, as Steve said, was find a model of bike with the same type of throttle and carbs, but with lower bars or a smaller frame. I tried to use some Bandit throttle cables on my GS1100 and they were like 5" too short.

Good luck and welcome to the site.
            Last edited by TxGSrider; 03-07-2017, 10:27 AM.
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
              The other option, as Steve said, was find a model of bike with the same type of throttle and carbs, but with lower bars or a smaller frame.
              Must have been another "Steve" that snuck in when I wasn't looking.

I was only asking for a hint as to what vehicle was being discussed.

Probably a motorcycle, presumably a GS, because he is asking on GSR, but no verification either way.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Probably a motorcycle, presumably a GS, because he is asking on GSR, but no verification either way.

Sorry, it was Nessism. Hey, its early...lol!
                1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Sorry, since I was asking a very general question, I didn't think it was necessary to provide my bike information. If it will help you answer my inquiry about customizing the clutch and throttle cable it is an 81 GS550L.

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Comment

Yes, it makes a BIG difference. You may have been asking a "general" question, but it was about a SPECIFIC bike.

First of all, you have an "L" bike. They came with higher handlebars and longer cables. The 550E had lower bars, and would have shorter cables. The 550M (Katana) had bars that were lower yet, and might have cables that are even shorter. I would have to check a cross-reference chart on the part numbers to verify.

Second, some of the different bikes have different types of cables. Many of the smaller bikes have a cable that ends on the left side of the bike, where it pulls on a lever that pushes a rod through a transmission shaft to release the clutch. Many of the larger bikes have a cable that goes over the transmission and puls on a lever that is connected to a rack and pinion system that releases the clutch. Because of these differences, you can not use what might be a shorter cable from a smaller bike on a bigger bike.

Knowing what type of bike you have will tell us what type of cable you have, then we can make some intelligent suggestions.

Now that you know how important it is to have that information handy, why not edit your profile to include a signature that mentions your bike. Does not have to be anything fancy like some of us have, it could simply say "Current bike: '81 550L".

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X