My brain is hurting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brain is hurting

Done most of what i need. Just some plate gussetting and chain and then the bracing underneath to design. 630 sprocket to fit a early GSXR1100 wheel. What do they say, if it looks right it is right. Time will tell

Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2017, 05:57 PM.

Curious as to why 630 instead of 530/525/520?

I wish i had taken measurements on the bracing underneath on this swingarm.
    It was eligible for the vintage racing series here in Canada.

Last edited by steve murdoch; 03-06-2017, 11:38 PM.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Im a stickler for what looks right, same reason im still doing 18" wheels. And already done cad drawings with GSXR1100 wheels and that swingarm. Taking 8mm off the gsxr sprocket carrier and adding a spacer behind front sprocket keeps the chain in line with same dimensions as a standard gs1000 wheel and lots of clearance still. Could do the whole bandit swing arm and forks but thats not for me. thanks. I have a mcKintosh arm on my good 1000, could have copied that but this be more fun.

Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2017, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Do you have a finite element stress model in that cad package? Probably way too much work but it would be interesting to compare the round tubing design to the square tubing under twist.

Comment

I do but i looked at it once and when i seen i had to measure gravity and stuff like that i got scared. I will double check later today see if there any other add in i could use. Its the Solidworks Cad programme

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
            I do but i looked at it once and when i seen i had to measure gravity and stuff like that i got scared. I will double check later today see if there any other add in i could use. Its the Solidworks Cad programme
            If you want to send me the model(s) I can do an FEA run on it and post the plots for generic interest sake. PM me for email details if you are interested.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
              If you want to send me the model(s) I can do an FEA run on it and post the plots for generic interest sake. PM me for email details if you are interested.

Mark
              Cool offer, give me a few weeks to sort out the bracing both original and the extra underneath. Would a comparison between a standard GSX arm and a braced arm be ok. That McKintosh arm is still on my bike.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                Cool offer, give me a few weeks to sort out the bracing both original and the extra underneath. Would a comparison between a standard GSX arm and a braced arm be ok. That McKintosh arm is still on my bike.
                Let me know when you're ready and we'll sort it out.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                  Let me know when you're ready and we'll sort it out.

Mark
                  Obviously, the most important parameter for comparison would be torsional stiffness divided by weight.

Comment

I've got a Macintosh on my Cooley Clone that looks significantly different.
                    I know they make a lot of dragbike swingarms.

Last edited by steve murdoch; 03-08-2017, 11:16 PM.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Obviously, the most important parameter for comparison would be torsional stiffness divided by weight.
                      That's what it will be, deflections with a unit load. Without good data for the actual loading there isn't much point in any stress analysis and stresses should be low anyway, since motorcycle structures are designed for stiffness and not strength.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        Different Company. ures are from McIntosh Machine and Fabrication, New Lebanon, OH 45345, Mine are from McIntosh Racing Development in New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post

I love that, everything about the picture.. can we have more please haha
                          I build Pipers

Comment

Yeah, that bike is eye candy.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks, Gents, but i don't want to sidetrack the thread from Sharpy anymore than i already have. haha.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X