Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member GS750

Hello all!

I have a 1978 GS750 which is a US import. It has wire wheels and a single front disc brake. I've owned it since 1996, but took it off the road in 1998 to restore. However, in 1998 I found a rare KR250A and my money all went on that, the GS being confined to the garage where it has stayed ever since!. To cut a long story short, the KR is now gone and I want to get the GS back up and running. Looks like I've got a lot of forum reading to do to catch up!!!

I knew there was another GS hiding in someone's garage somewhere! If the seat is original you can get a new seat cover from Pitreplica. Check out Basscliff's website for info and tutorials on a lot of the other items that will be needing attention. Congratulations on getting another one back on the road.

Comment

Thanks!

Not a runner yet, needs quite a bit of work. The front brake hoses are from a custom model, the front fender is not original as that one rusted right through back in the 1990s. Apart from that and the Motad 4-1 exhaust, the bike is complete. Pistons are not seized as they all move on the kickstarter. I did run it for 2 years before taking it off the road.

Seat base is bad, but have just got hold of a Giuliari seat for the bike.

Comment

I'm currently restoring one like that one. Mine is an E model. I really like that Motad 4-1 exhaust system. Oh well...something else to buy! Does it ever end???? Good luck with the rebuild!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Nice bike! Get those carbs cleaned with new o-rings/gaskets/float needles, upgrade to a Polaris # 4012941 "SH-775" regulator-rectifier, add the popular ignition coil relay modification.
          Then the running gear.... 98-99 Honda CB600F "Hornet"/"599" rotors, Dan aka Salty_Monk's twinpot brake upgrade with some GS750E or GS650 dual disc fork lowers (or 98-99 CBR900RR 310mm single rotor on your forks and a GS500E/F master cylinder). Chop as many coils out of the fork springs as you can while still having about 4.75" of gaps in the coils & shim the missing portion back up with pvc/copper/aluminum/steel tubing (or just buy some sonic springs), mikesxs.com cartridge emulators or racetrack gold valves in the forks with OEM or AllBalls new fork seals. Then get at the very minimum some YSS E-302 model RE302-335T-01 alloy body rebuild able shocks. Then shod those rims in a 4.00x18 or 110/90-18 rear tire and a 90/90-19 or 100/90-19 front tire. PirellI Sport Demons for the ULTIMATE grip. Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 for similar grip but slightly longer life on the rear tire if you ride straight flat roads primarily. Shinko 230 TourMaster front if on a budget and wanting ultimate grip. Avon AM26 RoadRiders if you do a lot of straight road riding and load on lots of long miles.

That with a Giuliari GS750 seat (I'm jealous!) will make an incredible incredible performing vintage bike!
          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Also...adding some Wiseco K844 pistons and some .354" or .365" lift or so aftermarket cams and valve springs with a good valve job, & a 530 chain/sprockets conversion will make that bike a real screamer!

Don't forget the basics lIke clean clean clean carbs with new o-rings and gaskets, & a proper valve adjustment with a new top cover gasket and half circle cam bore end seals...

These bikes are wonderful & very classy. I'm glad another is getting due respect...
            Last edited by Chuck78; 10-06-2017, 12:29 PM.
            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

My bike needs a LOT of work just to get it roadworthy again. What with my mobility issues, and complete lack of budget, modding the bike will just have to wait. It has sat for 20 years in my garage, and the bike is complete; the plan was to just try and get it going again for now. Had a mini clean-up last weekend which showed me just how much needs doing. Can't decide whether to keep it or sell it! My days of messing with bikes may well be over. Just want a bike I can use these days... My heart is in it but my body says no!!!

Comment

We call that one the '77 model over here. Be careful, the carbs on the earliest models had a few different configurations. Make a note of what's in there before farting around with it.
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

John, the Suzuki decal on the frame states date of manufacture 12/77, so would that be a 77 or 78 model year? I was assuming it was a 78 due to the color scheme. The paperwork I have doesn't give a model year as it states it was imported into the UK in 1993. I would only be cleaning carbs and replacing O-rings if I took the carbs apart.

Comment

That would make it a '78 but again the early ones were a little different. The wire wheels and single disk up front usually means '77 but.......
                    Other's will chime in here shortly.....
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Lost the photos due to Photobucket being robbing b******s, I closed my account! Not much point having it if I can't post any more pics without paying first!

Comment

Welcome!

Bummer about the PB thing...looking forward to seeing pics. I dig 750s.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Post deleted due to mistake with pic link. Will repost when sorted!
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2017, 04:55 PM. Reason: Messed up putting pic link on

Comment

ow, now that is a *really* nice bike to start out with !
                            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                            Bikecliff's website
                            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

DSC_0006.jpg

Finally loaded a pic of my GS750!

Comment

Working...