No announcement yet.

77 gs550 fuel problems PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The search feature on this site will turn up lots of info.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far guys! Waiting on parts and hopefully can report back with some good news soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hell or high water View Post
        The bore is so small any experience getting those out of there without damaging anything? Also still having a hard time finding a set of just the fuel screws, anyone have any or know where to get them?

I bought these cause mine came without springs. Keeping the screws as spares for the originals though.
        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
          https://www.z1enterprises.com/fuel-s...i-vm-carb.html

I bought these cause mine came without springs. Keeping the screws as spares for the originals though.
          i wondered about these but I was concerned that they dident have them listed for the 550. Are the screws the same size between all the gs carbs?

Comment

I'm not sure if the fuel screws are the same. Maybe one of the gurus will chime in.

Edit: Just saw this in a thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...05#post1537405
            Last edited by hannibal; 03-17-2017, 09:38 AM. Reason: Link
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Ordered them today hopefuly they get here fast! Just got the carbs all back together and the new boots on so just waiting on fuel screws. Hope it works this time lol

Comment

Got the pilot fuel screws in and......nothing still! 2,3,4 fired on a little carb cleaner shot in the pods. Thing is officially under my skin, so pulled plugs to verify spark and it was fine on all four cylinders. Verified my ignition timing was statically set, I cracked the bowl drains on all the carbs and they had fuel. So the carbs are getting fuel, that leaves mixture right? Pilot screw settings and jetting? Hope I get some where tomorrow, she's exhausting my patience!!!! Any ideas would be great guys, thanks.

Comment

Nope, it means #1 is still plugged up
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Well I'm 99.9 % certain the carbs are clean, however I'm not entirely sure I got the floats set right. What's an easy way to make sure the bowls are full? Maybe there's a little fuel in the bowls when I cracked the drains to fool me into thinking they were full? Sorry guys I'm kinda grasping at straws now. To be clear it won't run at all it will stumble for a second or two when hit with carb cleaner and die. Should I back the fuel screws out a little? They are set to one turn out and the air screws have been set anywhere from two turns out to half a turn out.

Comment

Guide about float heights and fuel levels:

Note that it relates to CV carbs, but the principles are the same. Your workshop manual will tell you the float height for your VM carbs.
                      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Got her going!!!! Exhaust soon to come 👍

Comment

Turns out I was using some bad gas...😣 So for those of us who forget about the little things, there ya go lol thanks guys for all the help your knowledge is increadibly valuable to guys like me. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                          X