No announcement yet.

Ok so vinyl wrap??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save for the fact that sign grade vinyls are not the same as automotive vinyls, and that in the world of automotive vinyl, 3M remains at the top of the hill.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
      Lol...I was going to suggest "tiger"....just don't do cow{kaw?}.......
      Definitely no cow hahaah, been wanting to do something in rainbow zebra/tiger since high school though.. that may be the ticket
      I build Pipers

Comment

Ted Nugent would approve.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

He might shoot first and approve later, but he would approve.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Haha he's a beast man
            I build Pipers

Comment

He's only hominid, but definitely not the sapient variety.

Looks like you are going to have a fun bike, Brandon.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

How about hydro dipped?
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Looks interesting, but what is the total cost?
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Not a fan, panel's on my snapon box are hydro dipped its only a year and a half old and peeling and rusting
                    I build Pipers

Comment

I vinyl wrapped the plastics on my GSX1100G with "3D carbon fiber" , cheap stuff from eBay.
                      It had horrible paint to begin with. I didn't want to deal with too much sanding, but there's one scratch I lightly sanded and thought, "good enough" and it shows right through. (It's a "keyed" type scratch on one side/tail panel).
                      From time to time I spray some rustoleum 2x coverage clear gloss on the vinyl. Figure it'll help it last longer.

I'm very pleased with the results, BUT if/when I have it to do again, I'll use real carbon fiber and fiberglass resin over the plastics next time.
                      Carbon fiber can be found for less than expected these days ,and it would add functional strength.

Someday I'd like to get into sand casting, like the smoother "green sand casting" techniques (as seen youtube) and aluminum sand cast ,molded from the plastics. Fairing and all. probably would be unique/wild to see all polished aluminum body work...

The vinyl usually has tiny pin holes to reduce/ prevent bubbles and IF they're not sealed (like the clear coat mentioned), wax , oil, silicone spray, causes the adhesive to loosen as it seeps through by the way.

For a colorful pattern and the "carbon" it comes out ok overlapped. (I avoided cutting curves and overlapping except spots covered by components, still looked ok though there).
                      It's sort of the opposite of painting applying the stuff ,because I've found it best to work very slowly and redo spots by lifting it back works. Applying heat, and stretching the stuff, curves etc. is a darn learning experience.
                      Hope to see some pics if/when you go for it.

Oh, one chic (from the motorcycle course) asked me to help look out for a 150 scooter for her, especially in "red" she wanted. I was thinking right away, IF I found a project one to fix up for her I'd go straight for red vinyl wrap at the end, would've come out alright, i think...
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2017, 11:36 AM.

Comment

The 3M Liquid Copper on mine is indistinguishable from paint and has a 5 year warranty.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

I'd say that each mans cycle is his canvas...he's free to paint it {build it too} how he wishes...his bike/his call.
                          I had to resort to taking a pic of a pic due to not having digital cameras back then...but I'll say this...some folks aren't afraid to make a statement...I saw it as my cycle was pieced together / wasn't going to be oem with a gast 2 stage port job anyway / so I went wild as most 20 somethings would.
                          bikes 001.jpg

Comment

Very cool vintage pic of vintage fun!
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                              Very cool vintage pic of vintage fun!
                              I remember the 1st night she was out...had a 2" drop on the forks for the "cool stance" and by the end of the evening I had a nice lil dent on top of the chrome front fender {via the brake line splitter-ugh}...lesson learned....don't do that. I found another nice front fender and put the original forks back on. That bike scared the hell outta me a couple of times but geez she was fun....

Comment

I still miss my RZ350s.
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X