No announcement yet.

Ok so vinyl wrap??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just like Krylon for paint: You'll get what you pay for x the level of effort/expertise.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Just like Krylon for paint: You'll get what you pay for x the level of effort/expertise.
      we have a sign/print shop here at the university, the "expensive" vinyl and the "cheap" vinyl are manufactured in the same plant.... the expensive is just "drop shipped" to us. we cut the middle man out. we do have some wrap material, looks EXACTLY like the expensive stuff, but it is the cheap stuff...again... you can't tell the difference between what is expensive and cheap. side by side, no difference, not even the backing. the patterns match up everything. level of expertise I will agree with... a good mechanic can make sh*t out of shine-ola. The base material seems to be the same for the custom work we have done, what you pay for is the "custom pattern". anything that is normal sale...like wood grain, camo, electric, etc. comes from the factory that way, honestly, they come in the same box regardless if they are "expensive" or "cheap" with the wrap and what we use for vinyl signage. can't hurt to give it a go

Comment

Sorry, but that ain't the same with auto grade vinyl. 3M is by far the best wrap. Avery has a great color selection, but has adhesion and grip issues. The guy who did my bike wraps Lamborghinis, etc., and he won't touch anything other than 3M unless the customer signs a waiver. Lesser stuff would be even worse. Why start off half-@ssed if you want something good? If your carbs need overhauling, taking them off just to spray them down with carb cleaner won't give the best results.

Here's a good overview on automotive vinyl:

Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 03-08-2017, 11:37 PM.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Well with what im trying to do its going to be expensive.. custom print plust install is deffo gonna be $$
          I build Pipers

Comment

So, this stuff can be taken off with no damage to the original? Comes off like plasti-dip? I have a 78 "dead" skunk 1000. "Dead" to me are the brown ones. (no disrespect intended to brown 1000 owners!) I would like to make a red/white Yosh/Cooley out of it, but I will not destroy the original paint which is mint to do it. If it costs around the same as a paint job, and one can go back to original, to me, that is a win/win. Great info on wraps here, thanks!
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

It comes off pretty easily if you are using high quality wrap. That said, if it's been on for longer than, say, a year, it will still be some serious work to remove. I have removed one wrap on mine before having it done in the new color. Good for about 5 years-longer if you garage it.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Sorry, but that ain't the same with auto grade vinyl. 3M is by far the best wrap. Avery has a great color selection, but has adhesion and grip issues. The guy who did my bike wraps Lamborghinis, etc., and he won't touch anything other than 3M unless the customer signs a waiver. Lesser stuff would be even worse. Why start off half-@ssed if you want something good? If your carbs need overhauling, taking them off just to spray them down with carb cleaner won't give the best results.

Here's a good overview on automotive vinyl:

http://wickedwraps.net/about/wraps-explained/
                There's a vinyl red metal flake out there....looks total old school paint job {70's} but the vast majority of the reviews on it say it doesn't stick for "#@! even with adhesion promoter spray...have to pass.

My burl wood vinyl is 3M, but my matt red chrome is Vvivid..........what's your take on Vvivid?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
                  we have a sign/print shop here at the university, the "expensive" vinyl and the "cheap" vinyl are manufactured in the same plant.... the expensive is just "drop shipped" to us. we cut the middle man out. we do have some wrap material, looks EXACTLY like the expensive stuff, but it is the cheap stuff...again... you can't tell the difference between what is expensive and cheap. side by side, no difference, not even the backing. the patterns match up everything. level of expertise I will agree with... a good mechanic can make sh*t out of shine-ola. The base material seems to be the same for the custom work we have done, what you pay for is the "custom pattern". anything that is normal sale...like wood grain, camo, electric, etc. comes from the factory that way, honestly, they come in the same box regardless if they are "expensive" or "cheap" with the wrap and what we use for vinyl signage. can't hurt to give it a go
                  Can you toss us brand names on those vinyls?....I'd be curious of this....

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                    Well with what im trying to do its going to be expensive.. custom print plust install is deffo gonna be $$
                    Our local shop {Phat Bros} can print custom stuff and laminate it, which is what makes it expensive. It's pretty darn hard to lay a layer of any vinyl and then try to add a clear protective layer over that....Laminate is a better way to go if one has the money.

My two cents {fwiw}-
                    -get a quote for custom printed/laminated vinyl and install.

-Next option, find a vinyl background color you like {that light turquoise is gonna be a hard one to find in a solid color though}, then find a good AB painter to paint the flowers/stems/petals onto the vinyl using hand cut friskets or spray templates ...then you could 2k clear over that.

...see which one appeals to you finish/money wise....

Comment

A pattern like this would be cool too
                      I build Pipers

Comment

Lol...I was going to suggest "tiger"....just don't do cow{kaw?}.......

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                          There's a vinyl red metal flake out there....looks total old school paint job {70's} but the vast majority of the reviews on it say it doesn't stick for "#@! even with adhesion promoter spray...have to pass.

My burl wood vinyl is 3M, but my matt red chrome is Vvivid..........what's your take on Vvivid?
                          Like I said, the guy who did mine does $5000 auto wraps Monday through Friday, and he says 3M is in a league of its own. I trust his knowledge, since he's been doing these things for eight years.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Like I said, the guy who did mine does $5000 auto wraps Monday through Friday, and he says 3M is in a league of its own. I trust his knowledge, since he's been doing these things for eight years.
                            I work for 3m automotive. What other uses does this film have? If they can corner a market they will do it and do it so good no one can touch it. Has anyone here done this? If so, what did it run?
                            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                              Can you toss us brand names on those vinyls?....I'd be curious of this....
                              im on vacation til the 20th, will get the brand names then

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
                                im on vacation til the 20th, will get the brand names then
                                Great.....this isn't a witch hunt or anything....just curiosity. Take for example the kenmore brand.....while labeled as such, those who know it know that it's always made by some other company and simply rebadged with the kenmore name ...it's just who?

Comment

Working...
                                X