Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My GS450 Wiring Diagram (Thinking about making a custom Harness)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would spray all that shiny brass with DeOxit or smear dielectric grease.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      I would spray all that shiny brass with DeOxit or smear dielectric grease.
      Will do - up until now I've been buying those little sugar pack type things of dialectric grease they usually have at the counter of Autozone or equivalent for quick wiring clean ups. Maybe it's time for me to just get a proper tube now.
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
        Will do - up until now I've been buying those little sugar pack type things of dialectric grease they usually have at the counter of Autozone or equivalent for quick wiring clean ups. Maybe it's time for me to just get a proper tube now.
        The DeOxit will flow into the crimps, someplace the grease can't get into. It is not permanent, but will significantly increase the longevity of the contacts.

Comment

Okay so I'm going to try to finish this up this weekend since I'm supposed to go moto camping next weekend. I have some questions about where to put fuses mostly because I had `In line' fuses between my coil relay and bat(+) as well as my R/R and Batt(+) and would like to just use the fusebox to clean up some of the mess. I drew up this quick diagram just putting the previously In line fuses into the fusebox (Note that "Starter" should be "Starter Relay")

Questions:
          1. My fusebox is rated for 25A max and the 15A fuses for Coil Relay and R/R already are over that. Should I just run the seperate In Line fuses and wire them to the starter relay post (labeled A in the diagram) to get battery (+) power or is the configuration in the diagram OK?

2. I was going to run the wire going to the starter button and the wire going to the Kill switch from the "Lights" fuse but thought since I have the space on the fusebox I might as well just give them seperate fuses. Would I be okay with a 2A fuse (where the blue line goes into the fusebox)? I would think that these don't draw much current since they're just the "Switch" wires.

3. Does anybody know how many Amps the horn draws?

Thanks
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550

Comment

Moto camping next weekend?....I hope you're going south or west! I still got 1 foot plus in my yard.
            Anyways, the starter relay draws 3 to 4 amps, so use a 10 amp fuse. Never measured a suzuki horn, but it's likely in 5 amp range.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Moto camping next weekend?....I hope you're going south or west! I still got 1 foot plus in my yard.
              Anyways, the starter relay draws 3 to 4 amps, so use a 10 amp fuse. Never measured a suzuki horn, but it's likely in 5 amp range.
              Haha yeah well I have to get both the GS450 and GS750 running today/tomorrow so we'll see. Might have to go in the truck but I'll be going out to NY/VT where I think (hope) it's a little warmer. It's going to be in the 70's this week so that should help a little

What about overloading the fusebox? If it's rated at 25A am I overloading it?
              1977 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post

What about overloading the fuse box? If it's rated at 25A am I overloading it?
                I assume you are aware you left out the ignition switch.

You probably consciously chose to power the fuse box "busbar" from the battery; this is different to a standard GS harness wiring.

Assuming the fuse box is constructed with a busbar with 25 amp rating, I would not wire it the way you show. Reverse the R/R with the battery connection.

The way you show is almost twice as much current flowing through the fusebox contacts during standard operation. Whether that will overload it or not I don't know as this depends largely on how the fusebox is constructed.,

Comment

While you're looking for your camping stuff, read this post from posplayr

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    While you're looking for your camping stuff, read this post from posplayr

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...98#post1138898
                    So that is where that post went . I could never remember or find it.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      I assume you are aware you left out the ignition switch.

You probably consciously chose to power the fuse box "busbar" from the battery; this is different to a standard GS harness wiring.

Assuming the fuse box is constructed with a busbar with 25 amp rating, I would not wire it the way you show. Reverse the R/R with the battery connection.

The way you show is almost twice as much current flowing through the fusebox contacts during standard operation. Whether that will overload it or not I don't know as this depends largely on how the fusebox is constructed.,

Oops I did leave out the ignition switch - It's beetween A and the fusebox.
                      I just re-read the fusebox specs and it's rated for 25A max each fuse or 125A total so I think what I have now (see below) is okay.

Here's the current set up (I didn't get to read your post before doing this) where I moved the R/R(+) to A with a 15A fuse. Would it be better to move the battery from the busbar (B) to a fused slot (C) with the R/R(+) where it is?

In other news - I tested everything yesterday and it works! All lights are doing what they should, horns hooked up. I haven't done any of the gear indicators or other indicator lights but I did put this little LED into the headlight for the oil pressure light:

I used the old PVC loom and zip ties to wrap it for now and it still needs some finishing up. Got to ride up and down the street but I still have a couple things to do before I put the bike on the road for the season.
                      1977 GS550

Comment

I've put on about 500 miles since getting the bike up and running with the new harness. Charging strong and everything is working great. I'll make up a diagram with proper colors and updated configurations if anybody wants to use it in the future.

I still need to make up a dashboard and finalize the loom (right now it's the old pvc cleaned up and ziptied by I want to wrap it with loom tape).
                        1977 GS550

Comment

Working...
                        X