No announcement yet.

How does one set up custom rear shocks to dual riding? {solo and w/passenger}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does one set up custom rear shocks to dual riding? {solo and w/passenger}

I've got my sights set on either Hagon or Ikon rear shocks, with damping, to mimic the oem shocks ability.
    Given this, either supplier offers free custom spring matching for the shocks I'd buy.
    Now, to figure for bike weight{600# wet}, myself{210# full gear} and the front fairing{18#} is one thing, but if I were to add my wife {200#.....god I hope she never sees this-lol} "and" still expect a decent/non jarring ride sans passenger.....what's a good medium and can a three step spring adjuster compensate for the passenger well enough. I don't want a harsh solo ride and a mushy ride with a passenger....
    Thoughts?

That's what the pre-load adjustment is for - to compensate for extra load.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
      That's what the pre-load adjustment is for - to compensate for extra load.
      I get that, but if I were to run at minimum{1}, would there be enough tension left for that much more weight....{I love my wife, but after two kids neither of us are skinny as we used to be}. I've always owned used cycles and usually ran on the medium setting...with new shocks, it might be set on just the lowest......I'm trying to figure out what to expect in advance I guess. Springs do sag after time...

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
        I get that, but if I were to run at minimum{1}, would there be enough tension left for that much more weight....{I love my wife, but after two kids neither of us are skinny as we used to be}. I've always owned used cycles and usually ran on the medium setting...with new shocks, it might be set on just the lowest......I'm trying to figure out what to expect in advance I guess. Springs do sag after time...
        Most shocks have a 5 step adjustment for the pre-load. Within that range they usually adjust enough to allow for a pillion and luggage.

You should have the shocks set-up for solo riding on / close to the lowest pre-load setting.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

You should have the spring rate set for YOU when they are on the lowest preload setting. Also, please know that the preload adjusters do not increase any spring tension. When you apply weight to the shocks, the springs will sag a bit. Add more weight, they sag more. If you turn the adjusters, you will raise the ride height, but the springs are still sagged the same amount.

I believe that both of the companies that you mentioned offer one spring exchange, possibly at no charge, possibly at a minimum charge. Select a rate that might be a little firm, but has good progression to a rate that should be good for two-up.

To put things into perspective: I have Koni 7610 shocks on my 850. They are virtually the same as the Ikon 7610, just a lot older. My bike is a little heavier than yours. I am a little heavier than you. My passenger(s) are a little lighter, so overall, probably pretty close. I have the stock spring rate on the shocks, which is 18-33 kg/cm in metric or 100-185 lb/in in Amurrican. I have rebuild kits and springs on the shelf to be installed when I have a few minutes to spare. The new springs are 22-39 metric, 123-218 Amurrican. Hopefully that is enough. I am running my current springs on max preload, just to maintain ride height. The ride is nice, but when both of us are on, it does bottom out occasionally. If the new springs don't work out, I will have to step it up a bit. If there is a need to go higher, the next steps are 143-237, 180-292 and 229-345. I have a feeling that I might end up with the 143-237 springs, but will take my time deciding.

By the way, front suspension makes a big difference, too. I have Sonic 1.1 springs and 10w oil, it handles well and rides like a Cadillac. I am told it will be even better when I install my emulators.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Forgot to get back to this one....
            I never really thought of the spring tension adjuster as a "height" adjuster...thought it was more of tension add then anything else. Also explains why my older cycles were set a position 2 or 3 for just me......sag. {...and no, I was lighter then - lol}

Thanks for the valued input folks...still need to decide what set I want. It'd be nice if someone could rebuild the oems to new spec.....

Comment

For some decent, yet affordable, shocks, look into Hagon Shocks from Dave Quinn Motorcycles.

Give Dave a call. He does not do orders over the internet, he wants to talk to you to determine bike, weight, riding style, etc., so he can select the proper spring rate and damping for your shocks.

We have Hagon shocks on my wife's bike. Spring rate was selected for her weight and a bit of touring accessories, then the additional weight of what goes into the accessories.
              Very seldom carry a passenger, so that was not factored in.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Get some Works trackers with their ARS system. It's the only system that actually adjusts the spring rate rather than just preload....

Adjusting preload only alters the "start point". Once you are past that point you have the same spring weight. The ARS system effectively shortens the spring so you have a whole new spring rate.

It's a doddle to adjust as well (by hand). Far easier than adjusting preload.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X