Heavy Duty Clutch basket springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy Duty Clutch basket springs

I took apart a 1985 GS1150 to reshim the clutch basket. It has a solid backing plate, welded rivets, and the HD green springs. The problem is the one of the six springs is starting to come through the inside of the basket. Towards the inner hub. Instead of like usual start to push out the back. I replaced the large thrust washer because it was worn at the edges. I have the smallest shim available in it now my clearances are within specs but still creeps some. Not as bad but still does . Should we get another clutch basket since its starting to fail. I could just start to see the green spring windings coming through so I took a punch and knocked it back down. Which I know will not last . Thanks.
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Ok Ray open up and give me a hint on what you think is going on in that 1150 clutch basket. ever see it. The spring was touching the inner basket it came inward in looked like it may have been rubbing the basket.10 year old basket. Motor 2MM O/s drop in .340 lift cam, stage 3 jetted carbs,pods V&H megaphone no baffle dragstrip minimal street only, Blew away a GSXR 750 today. With experienced riders on both. Gave him the hit. Pulled him really hard Dragged his *ss Had a Shinko drag tire and put him deep in the mirrors. he he.
    Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 03-10-2017, 01:19 AM.
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Does it say APE on the rivet heads?
      Speed Merchant
      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Unfortunately, your basket is shot. I have cores & can build you a new one if you want.
        Ray.

Comment

Working...
        X