1978 GS 750e tachometer cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS 750e tachometer cable

Sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong area, but when I purchased my motorcycle the tach didn't have a connected cable, but the person who I purchased it from said he had the cable and gave it to me. It doesn't fit right into the cam cover, it seems to be too loose, and we checked on his bike too (same bike). His cable also didn't fit (second cable). Anyways I'm looking to buy another one but I do not know where to go for this, or if there is suppose to be an adapter that I'm not aware of.

It sits loose inside the cam cover like attempting to screw a m8 bolt into a m10 hole. I think it's the same size as the speedometer cable.

Thanks

Take a look at the parts diagram for the cylinder head http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3fec1f8700230d8b4dc9a/cylinder-head. Are you missing any pieces at the end of the tach cable (25-28)? There's only one part that can screw into the head.

The fact that you tried two cables, one that you saw fit on another GS750, suggests the tach drive hole on your motor might be damaged. Not sure how this could happen.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
      Take a look at the parts diagram for the cylinder head http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3fec1f8700230d8b4dc9a/cylinder-head. Are you missing any pieces at the end of the tach cable (25-28)? There's only one part that can screw into the head.

The fact that you tried two cables, one that you saw fit on another GS750, suggests the tach drive hole on your motor might be damaged. Not sure how this could happen.

Its possible that that I'm missing a piece. The gear is there I saw it when I adjusted the shims.

I have everything from 25, 26, 27. I'm not too sure about 28. Is that suppose to connect to the cable or is it already on it. That might be the thing I'm missing. I'll post a picture later when I get off work.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by shadley View Post
        Its possible that that I'm missing a piece. The gear is there I saw it when I adjusted the shims.

I have everything from 25, 26, 27. I'm not too sure about 28. Is that suppose to connect to the cable or is it already on it. That might be the thing I'm missing. I'll post a picture later when I get off work.

Thanks for the reply!
        #28 is the inside seal. Look at your cable ends where it screws in, what do they look like.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yes I realized that after I posted my comment that #28 was the seal. It appears to be there.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

I took some pictures of the cable and the inlet on the engine. It looks like the cable fits but it is actually too small to thread it. I may have exaggerated on how loose it was (I was going off of memory), but It still doesn't fit.

Comment

Are the thread good inside the gear drive assembly???? They may be so stripped its just slopping around.
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-11-2017, 03:16 PM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

From that pic, it looks like #26 will screw into the head but the cable won't screw into #26?
              Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
              2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                From that pic, it looks like #26 will screw into the head but the cable won't screw into #26?

Correct, It doesn't screw in, and the threads are not stripped out unless something happened to the cable ones, and they're suppose to be way more defined than they are now.

Comment

I've been looking around online and it is possible that I just have a second speedometer cable. Looking closer it I think that's the problem. I'm gonna drop a couple dollars and see if a new one will fit. Thanks for all the help fellas!

Comment

Working...
                  X