OLD 1980 GS 1100 LT Original Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OLD 1980 GS 1100 LT Original Owner

Bought my GS 1100 LT (16v DOHC) in Rocky Mount, North Carolina in July of 1980 and paid $3,735.00 out the door. I put more miles on it in the first year than the next 36 years combined...still under 4,000 miles and always stored inside. I had not started it in 10 years and got a wild hair the other day and squirted a little ether and hooked up the jumper cables and to my surprise it fired right up. Ordered a new OEM petcock of EBay ($44.00 shipped) and installed it today as well as changed the oil and filter. Still cleaning the old girl up and when she gets a little more presentable I'll post some photos.
    1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
    16 Valve DOHC
    Original Owner

Welcome to the Forum! It is always great to read about another mothballed GS getting out of storage and into the sunshine. The weather up here is still too cold for that but soon...

Comment

My 1100LT sat in the back of a garage for 25 years until January of 2002 when I rode her home from Fresno to Portland. She had 1026 miles on the odometer when we left Fresno, something over 38,000 now. This is two years ago after getting back from the frozen rally in Cranbrook BC. She has a temporary engine in her while I replaced the crankshaft in the original engine.

100_2837.jpg
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
        Welcome to the Forum! It is always great to read about another mothballed GS getting out of storage and into the sunshine. The weather up here is still too cold for that but soon...
        What he said! Don't be shy about posting pics as it sits. Personally, I love progress pics. Heck, mine has been a work in progress since '99, when it saw daylight after 12 years in the previous owners garage.
        BTW your name reminds me of work safety (Lock Out Tag Out)
        Last edited by dorkburger; 03-12-2017, 01:23 AM.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
            What he said! Don't be shy about posting pics as it sits. Personally, I love progress pics. Heck, mine has been a work in progress since '99, when it saw daylight after 12 years in the previous owners garage.
            BTW your name reminds me of work safety (Lock Out Tag Out)
            LOTO=Lake Of The Ozarks
            1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
            16 Valve DOHC
            Original Owner

Comment

Too bad you don't have any good roads to ride in that area. Just kidding of course. I am getting ready to trailer my GS 1000 down to Harrison, Arkansas for some good twisties.. Not too far from the Lake of the Ozarks.

BTW, welcome to the site.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                Too bad you don't have any good roads to ride in that area. Just kidding of course. I am getting ready to trailer my GS 1000 down to Harrison, Arkansas for some good twisties.. Not too far from the Lake of the Ozarks.

BTW, welcome to the site.
                We go canoeing in Arkansas a lot and that is great scenery too. Good riding roads around the lake area but I don't think there is a stretch of road longer than 100' that doesn't have a curve in it though Bikefest is getting bigger every year here.
                1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                16 Valve DOHC
                Original Owner

Comment

Welcome aboard LOTO....You won't find a nicer bunch o' GS fanatics anywhere. Post dem pics brother.
                  PB
                  Central Jersey
                  82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Originally posted by LOTO View Post
                    Bought my GS 1100 LT (16v DOHC) in Rocky Mount, North Carolina in July of 1980 and paid $3,735.00 .
                    I got mine in 82 just down the road in Jacksonville, NC and paid about the same. I put 20K miles on the first two years. Back and forth to MN. Got about 45K today. Ever go to that drag strip in Kinston, NC?
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by LOTO View Post
                      We go canoeing in Arkansas a lot and that is great scenery too. Good riding roads around the lake area but I don't think there is a stretch of road longer than 100' that doesn't have a curve in it though Bikefest is getting bigger every year here.
                      http://www.lakebikefest.com/gallery.asp
                      Sounds like just the road I am looking for. As for the bikefest, meh, you can keep it and I will avoid it at all costs.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Pb9717 View Post
                        Welcome aboard LOTO....You won't find a nicer bunch o' GS fanatics anywhere. Post dem pics brother.
                        I'll post a few before pictures and hopefully will be able to post some during/after pictures when I find the time to get everything finished. I'm really not making any major changes and just painting/cleaning...need to take a break because my finger tips are about worn off from the stripping and buffing.
                        Attached Files
                        1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
                        16 Valve DOHC
                        Original Owner

Comment

Working...
                        X