Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importance of sealing airbox?

Hello all,

I have seen numerous references on this forum regarding thorough sealing of the factory airbox - more thorough in fact than they came from the factory. I bought my '81 GS850G a few months ago with velocity stacks (17K miles), which I understand is a no-no with these engines, so I bought a good used airbox on Ebay along with a new filter. The rubber boots are in good shape, as are the seals at the ends of the airbox, but it seems as though some people on this site think that's not sufficient. So my question is: is it really necessary to seal them better than they were from the factory?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I want this bike to purr.

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
    So my question is: is it really necessary to seal them better than they were from the factory?

No need to go beyond the OEM level. Problem is that the airbox foam deteriorates with time; foam on the airbox end cap and on the filter cage. The rubber carb boots that attach to the head typically get hard and crack and the O-rings fail. The airbox boots typically shrink so that's something else to watch for. Bottom line is to bring the system back to OEM level and you are fine.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for that info Ed. That's what I figured. So I have all new intake manifolds, the airbox boots are still nice and pliable, the foam air filter is new, and I have brand new chrome end caps. That oughta do it, right?

Comment

If the airbox isn't sealed well, crosswinds will play hell with your carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          If the airbox isn't sealed well, crosswinds will play hell with your carbs.
          Is that specifically referencing the end caps?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
            Is that specifically referencing the end caps?
            End caps, carb vent tubes position, and probably the snorkel too. You don't want any opening to the intake exposed to the wind.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              End caps, carb vent tubes position, and probably the snorkel too. You don't want any opening to the intake exposed to the wind.
              Motorcycles operate in wind (as they move down the road). I would think that the engineers would have considered that as they were developing the intake-sealing methods.

Comment

Motorcycles operate in wind (as they move down the road). I would think that the engineers would have considered that as they were developing the intake-sealing methods.
                Right. So, for a stock intake, make sure all the stock sealing stuff is sealed. That will put all the openings (snorkel intake and carb bowl vents) in the space between the side covers and under the seat. Out of the wind.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

So one last detail about sealing the airbox: as I mentioned, I bought my airbox used on Ebay, and all is well except that there is a gap between the top of the air cleaner element and the ceiling of the airbox; it is about 1/8", maybe a little less. I think I've seen traces of old weather stripping in there - as though that gap used to be sealed. So given that everything else it tight, is it really necessary to seal that gap?

Comment

So one last detail about sealing the airbox: as I mentioned, I bought my airbox used on Ebay, and all is well except that there is a gap between the top of the air cleaner element and the ceiling of the airbox; it is about 1/8", maybe a little less. I think I've seen traces of old weather stripping in there - as though that gap used to be sealed. So given that everything else it tight, is it really necessary to seal that gap?
                    Abso-freaking-lutely. Yes.

It is important to the correct airflow, plus you also don't want to suck in dirty air.

I generally clean the metal air filter cage thoroughly (remove the foam filter element so you don't damage it with solvent), then apply weatherstripping to the top of the cage (it takes a bit of craftsmanship at the corners). Then apply a thin coat of grease to the foam so it'll slide into place inside the clips in the airbox.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Abso-freaking-lutely. Yes.

It is important to the correct airflow, plus you also don't want to suck in dirty air.

I generally clean the metal air filter cage thoroughly (remove the foam filter element so you don't damage it with solvent), then apply weatherstripping to the top of the cage (it takes a bit of craftsmanship at the corners). Then apply a thin coat of grease to the foam so it'll slide into place inside the clips in the airbox.
                      Alrighty then! Looks like that's my project for tonight when I get home from work. That should go well with my newly-rebuilt carbs by Steve (GSWhisperer).

Comment

Working...
                      X