Gs850G Turn signal not blinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs850G Turn signal not blinking

Hello, I am very knew to all this so bare with me. I bought my first bike a GS850G and I am working to get it street legal currently the big one I was turned down for was the left side turn signal not blinking front and back. It turns on but stays solid, no flashing. the right side works fine.

I started diagnosing the problem by first switching the bulbs from the right to the left to see if it was a Wattage problem with the bulbs it was then i noticed the the rear light unit has been replaced and that it is not an exact match to the others. the bulb wattage appears to be the similar if not the same. the originals bulb is listed as 12v 23w the newer one is listed as 12v 23/8W, the originals are single prong and the replacement is double prong. I have attached picture of the newer double prong light.

I have searched many threads looking for to see solutions and I believe I have found one but I want to verify before i make assumptions. I found an article that walks you through replacing the turn signal relay:
    HTML Code:
    http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/storagecliff/images/turn_signal_relay_replacement.pdf
    My question is will replacing the turn signal relay allow for the after market part to work properly, flash. or is it best if I try to find an original turn signal unit?

thanks.GSlight2.jpg

The flasher needs a certain load to flash. Your replaced signal with the dual filament bulb is probably using the 8 watt filament as the signal feature...so no flash! Get a stock signal or switch the connections around on the replaced signal so that the 23 watt filament is the signal.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yep, Tom pretty much hit the nail on the head. Somebody had a 50/50 chance on which wire to connect, the wrong wire was chosen.

Just to be sure, before you make things 'permanent', use a jumper wire from the battery to each of the wires going to that signal.
      One will be dim, the other will be bright. Connect the bright one to the turn signal wire on the bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you both for the fast responses!

I am only seeing two wires form the replaced turn signal is the consensus that there should be a third? or is the third wire from the turn signal relay?
        Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LearningNeophyte View Post
          Thank you both for the fast responses!

I am only seeing two wires form the replaced turn signal is the consensus that there should be a third? or is the third wire from the turn signal relay?
          On the turn signal: Two wires plus the ground connection which is the mounting.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The ground connection to the turn signal is a large ring terminal that goes over the stem and is held with the mounting nut.

One of the wires will power a running light (the dimmer filament), the other will be for the turn signal (the brighter filament).

Those signals were meant to be on the FRONT of the bike. It will work on the rear, you just need to connect the correct wire.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Alright everyone thanks for the help I got it figured out. whoever had installed the new turn signal had removed the ground wire ring, the turn signal was functioning by using one of the filament wires as a ground wire. added a new ground wire and I am now registered and ready to ride! thanks again for the help!

Comment

1981 and newer 850G has running lights in front and needs a dual filament bulb. Those came with rectangular turn signals. '79 and '80 had round. You never need dual filament in the rear turn signals, at least through 1982.

My nephew left the ground rings off of his, and couldn't figure out why they didn't work. I've reamed out a number of ring terminals to make up those ground rings over the years. I wish that they used something else.
                Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-16-2017, 07:36 PM.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I have a 1981 gs850g the turn signals just stopped working one day. The turn signal switch was replaced a couple years ago and I replaced the flasher thinking that was the problem. Still no turn signals. If I jump the power wire at the flasher to the wire to the turn signal switch the turn signal lights up. If I jump the wire from turn signal control to the wire from the switch turn signal won't light up. I took the cover off the flasher and manually made contact through the flasher and the turn signal lights up. Any ideas what may be the problem? I'm thinking it is the turn signal control but want to be sure before spending a couple hundred dollars on one.

Comment

Originally posted by Professional View Post
                    I have a 1981 gs850g the turn signals just stopped working one day. The turn signal switch was replaced a couple years ago and I replaced the flasher thinking that was the problem. Still no turn signals. If I jump the power wire at the flasher to the wire to the turn signal switch the turn signal lights up. If I jump the wire from turn signal control to the wire from the switch turn signal won't light up. I took the cover off the flasher and manually made contact through the flasher and the turn signal lights up. Any ideas what may be the problem? I'm thinking it is the turn signal control but want to be sure before spending a couple hundred dollars on one.
                    Welcome to GSR.
                    Would be better to start a new post, to not confuse it with the existing post.
                    And would be good for you to introduce yourself some in "owners".

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                    X